Glass Breakage Policy

Haven't dealt with glass breakage all that much since I've gone on my own. Have a customer who had one crack, just that it is the exterior pane. I know how we dealt with those at my old place of employment but have not had to deal with ext. breakage since I started up. They called a glass company first, so you already know what their stance is on it. What is your policy when it comes to this. I know which way I am leaning but I haven't seen much discussion on this subject....:dunno

The one answering could not tell me and I haven't got a call back yet... :dunno

Haven't ever tried to file a warranty for ext. crack, so this is unfamiliar waters. Dealer where I used to work (and had to deal with quit a few glass replacements over the years) almost never replaced when it was an ext. crack, maybe a couple times out of his own pocket but just because they made a fuss. His general policy was outside your problem, inside mine. I've been led to believe it was not covered. :dunno

Didn't know if other people had similar policies when it came to ext breaks. Anxious to see what this manu. says, first claim from them if so........

Square 72" x 72" roughly. Dual Reflective 15. Little to no shading on the glass. Borderline on F2G but passed. Not likely place to have an ext. strike from rocks or debris. Bird would be the most likely but did not see any evidence of one hitting the glass. Could have been wind load also. House is exposed on the side of a mountain and pane in question is the biggest and most exposed pane. We had heavy winds a week or so back :dunno

Square 72" x 72" roughly. Dual Reflective 15. Little to no shading on the glass. Borderline on F2G but passed. Not likely place to have an ext. strike from rocks or debris. Bird would be the most likely but did not see any evidence of one hitting the glass. Could have been wind load also. House is exposed on the side of a mountain and pane in question is the biggest and most exposed pane. We had heavy winds a week or so back :dunno

Settling can do it sometimes.

I thought this also, seems unlikely with this situation but possible.

Rob in your experience can film cause thermal expansion to the outside pane. Seems like with an IG unit with lowe coating on side 2 could have potential for this but as far as clear IG units go.....?

I thought this also, seems unlikely with this situation but possible.

Rob in your experience can film cause thermal expansion to the outside pane. Seems like with an IG unit with lowe coating on side 2 could have potential for this but as far as clear IG units go.....?

It can, but what you are worried about is the glass type, the size, the tensile strength of the glass, and resulting stress caused by the film. Low E on s2 can be a concern, so can decorative glass. The fact that it is the outside lite goes in your favor most of the time but it is not totally immune from thermal stress. Some MFG's are totally fine with it and others are more cautious, I've seen glass breakage denied on exterior due to the glass type and size.

Archived