Solar Gard film

Hello all,

I'm in a little pickle at the moment. I started tinting about 8 months ago and so far it's going well. However, I am starting to get a bit annoyed at the fact that theres plenty of film manufacturers out there and I'm sure that different film will either make installs better/easier and others will cause a bit of difficulty (I'm sure the latter applies to the film I'm using at the moment!).

I use Solar Gard NR Smoke, and to be completely honest the only reason I got this was because it was a lot cheaper than all their other types of film. I managed to get a good discount through a friend that works at Solar Gard and put in £1500 on film (stupid, yes I know).

Sometimes the film can b nice, but I just feel that it is very thin and cheap'ish. It creases a lot! and when I say a lot I mean a lot. I know I'm not a pro tinter and I can cause creases, but I do think that because the film is so thin its more vulnerable to creasing easier.

Has anyone used the NR Charcoal range or the Supreme range? How are they? and what is that best film from solargard in your opinions? (and please don't say the most expensive range, I do this on the side and can't afford spending huge amounts on film right now).

Also (sorry im asking a lot), but what is the best film manufacturer? I know they're all good in their own ways, but I need something of good quality? I am based in London and the only reason people do their tints is for looks and nothing to do qith heat reduction etc.

I appreciate all help in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SolarGard Galaxie is the easiest to install and not the highest end, competes with Supreme, Suntek Carbon, Llumar ATC, Global QDP etc... All of these films should be very installer friendly as they are all 1.5mil thick (except Supreme). That and they are all color stable films which is a nicer category that gets a lot of attention, not sure if that is the same over there though.

Cheers,

Hello all,

I'm in a little pickle at the moment. I started tinting about 8 months ago and so far it's going well. However, I am starting to get a bit annoyed at the fact that theres plenty of film manufacturers out there and I'm sure that different film will either make installs better/easier and others will cause a bit of difficulty (I'm sure the latter applies to the film I'm using at the moment!).

I use Solar Gard NR Smoke, and to be completely honest the only reason I got this was because it was a lot cheaper than all their other types of film. I managed to get a good discount through a friend that works at Solar Gard and put in £1500 on film (stupid, yes I know).

Sometimes the film can b nice, but I just feel that it is very thin and cheap'ish. It creases a lot! and when I say a lot I mean a lot. I know I'm not a pro tinter and I can cause creases, but I do think that because the film is so thin its more vulnerable to creasing easier.

Has anyone used the NR Charcoal range or the Supreme range? How are they? and what is that best film from solargard in your opinions? (and please don't say the most expensive range, I do this on the side and can't afford spending huge amounts on film right now).

Also (sorry im asking a lot), but what is the best film manufacturer? I know they're all good in their own ways, but I need something of good quality? I am based in London and the only reason people do their tints is for looks and nothing to do qith heat reduction etc.

I appreciate all help in advance.

Are you looking for cheap or good?

ken@dymondproducts.com This is the contact for Global window films Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.

Good quality, well priced.

Or just spend a bit more with SolarGard if you are happy, and move to the Galaxie, or even better the Quantum.

The NR series would be eaten alive here in Australia, the film would turn clear within a year. NR is 1 ply, so it is very thin, and will crease easily. Shrinks well, but burns when you need to shrink those trickier windows.

You could choose from so many suppliers that the decision as to which supplier to choose may come down to the turn around time for receiving products, and the support you get from any particular supplier. When you buy film through friends, then you will never be able to build a business relationship with your supplier.

The decision is to spend more or buy cheap. And you will be redoing work very soon if you don't move to a better quality product, whomever the supplier may be.

If all that you have used is NR smoke, you will be very happy to know that it can only look up from there.

Good luck Tints'r'us

:thumb

Guest JoeDirte

SolarGard Galaxie is the easiest to install and not the highest end, competes with Supreme, Suntek Carbon, Llumar ATC, Global QDP etc... All of these films should be very installer friendly as they are all 1.5mil thick (except Supreme). That and they are all color stable films which is a nicer category that gets a lot of attention, not sure if that is the same over there though.

Cheers,

Correction....... All but one of those are color stable films..... I'm sure you already know this..... Just making sure our newby friend doesnt get confused....

Cheers,

Correction....... All but one of those are color stable films..... I'm sure you already know this..... Just making sure our newby friend doesnt get confused....

Guess not, fill us in Joe.

Cheers,

Guess not, fill us in Joe.

He's talking about SunTek again. Non-fading as it says all over their literature, compared to color stable. He likes to make that clear any time it is brought up.

Archived