Darker than legal, yep, that old chestnut.

The only issue I can see is that even though WA has changed its law, it is not directly the same as any other state, so it will need to be changed again. And if they are anything like councils... It will be a while before that happens... It took me 13 months to get my garage approved...

I just pray that if the laws come inline, then that is not the launching pad for the glass mannys to bring in solar glass as standard.

I guess saint gobain will be in the best position to capitalise from it. They do make 1/3 of auto glass world wide.

I agree 100% that the laws need to be uniform, I just hope it doesn't come at the cost of our industry.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could happen GTS but then again since SA changed its stance the state laws have allowed 35%vlt to all windows yet we didnt see 35% solar glass come in as standard all round.

Also, when the big players in the auto industry decided to import vehicles with privacy glass into the country, they still managed to do this under a deal with the feds with little or no regard for current state laws.

My point is - if they decide to import cars with all 35% then they will do it anyway with no regard for state laws.

I'm guessing they won't though as -

1. there will always be those that don't want tinted windows (strange I know)
  2. manny's depend on the aftermarket upsell. This is supported by the fact that the models with the privacy glass are higher end versions (the upsell version)
  3. Mannys also rely on fleet sales which are usually stripped down , no frills versions of the model (no dearer tinted glass there)

Hope I'm right.

This is a great point Daz.

Ha Ha, My Dad hates tinted windows... I did his car in 70% and he didn't even know...

So I guess in a way we rely on those who hate tinted windows to stop tinted glass as standard on everything...

Come on tint haters of the world, make you voices heard! :lol

This is a great point Daz.

Ha Ha, My Dad hates tinted windows... I did his car in 70% and he didn't even know...

So I guess in a way we rely on those who hate tinted windows to stop tinted glass as standard on everything...

Come on tint haters of the world, make you voices heard! :lol

On a side note, isn't it strange - the RACQ/ NRMA has always bashed window tinting as being unsafe, overpriced etc etc, yet a recent google search turned up this

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/roadside_assistance/car_window_tinting

It seems now they can turn a buck from it and do it themselves, window tinting is suddenly a great idea.

Scratch one tint hater :evileye

No, no , no you have it all wrong - the RACQ has always loved window tint

Another quick google search reveals this little gem

http://www.racq.com..../window_tinting

:evileye :evileye :evileye

:facepalm2

No, no , no you have it all wrong - the RACQ has always loved window tint

Another quick google search reveals this little gem

http://www.racq.com..../window_tinting

:evileye :evileye :evileye

:facepalm2

Basically window tinting is a waste of money, and it's dangerous.... However, if you are going to do it... Do it with us because it is great value for money and improves driver comfort??? :eye

I have it on good authority that one of their contracted tinters loves using Carbon 35 (for both usability and cost). If that is the direction they have taken, it would be most interesting as it is darker than legal when applied. (They have been made aware of this so if they indeed have been using this it would be even more damning). One thing for tint shops to be giving what the customer asks but another for a "respected" Auto Club who advises on what's legal and safe to be using it. Those who can should keep an eye out for what's being used. Just tinting appears hypocritical, applying darker than legal would be incredibly more so.

Thanks for the heads up AT. Good to be forewarned if it ever poses a problem in my neck of the woods.

Just cant get my head around how hypocritical the RACQ is.

I should pull my membership and never deal with them again :lol

They should certainly be called out and taken to task by WFAANZ. (Having said that, now they are someone's customer it may be hard to get agreement on that). I would forgive the hypocrisy if they now start publishing articles advocating and advertising window tint. They would have large readership and as we know, if one advertises, consumers will investigate their options and sales increase for all. This could actually be good for all depending on their approach and intentions. (By taken to task, I mean demand articles retracting their previous comments or at least contradicting their previous negative comments).

Archived