Darker than legal, yep, that old chestnut.

if they brought in laws saying no tint at all would that mean 10 million odd cars on our road today would be unroadworthy and therefore they would need to employ a lot more police to be out defecting?

I don't think they will bring in laws to ban all tint because some people have darker than legal tint but I do see your standpoint on it being brought to authorities attention if more and more vehicles have illegal tint.

it still baffles me how privacy glass is fine but film means insurance void, fines, etc ( ford territory rear windows with privacy glass are 5% - 10% VLT, but e marking in the glass makes it 100% legal

thats all a bit off topic there, I talk 97% of my customers into legal tint

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why everyone is so divided on this subject.

I am a devoted believer in freedom of choice. In all ways Australia is a country that is completely free... As long as you choose the options that you are given. I guess those options are given for the safety of others.. e.g. You can drive a car, but you can drink this much alcohol before you drive, if you are just under the limit, then have a good day sir.. If you are just over, then you are a criminal and it's time to suffer your punishment. I save any confusion by never, ever drinking a drop of alcohol before getting behind the wheel. And that is why it is possible that the RTA could just create a zero limit to everyone if drink driving becomes a major problem.

If darker than legal window tinting becomes a major problem, then it is possible that a complete ban could be put in place. And all auto window tinters would then be criminals. Some would say "big deal" I will go and do something else.. And that is a self centred and ignorant comment to make.

If a customer asks me for a darker than legal tint, I will go through the routine of explaining the complications of having illegal film on a vehicle can bring. Almost all will take my suggestion, but some are hell bent on getting dark tint.

In my time tinting, I have tinted hundreds of police vehicles (personal and government), in that time I have never once been asked for the darkest legal, they have asked for darker than legal every single time. If I say yes, am I a criminal? Who is going to book the police? Our laws are written based on the opinion of a few law makers, and that varies in each state, and even though I have studied the laws in every state, I am still confused. It needs to be fair and clear!

I would suggest to anyone that does dark tinting on vehicles to take a moment and think, will what I am about to do have the potential to cause and accident or impare the safety of anyone driving this vehicle??? Is so, then if something does happen, and somebody is hurt, then the blood is on your hands.

When tinting a rear screen, is the 3rd or parcel shelf brake light supposed to be un obscured by window film?

Or is this another grey area?

I think MEP are the only ones that test their film on green glass with 70% VLT.

All the rest are tested on clear, so a 35% Vlt film is not 35 when applied.

I reckon almost every single tinted car out there is un roadworthy for these two reasons.

Mates is right. I was next to a territory with privacy glass today.

Man that did look like 5 - 10% Vlt.

For those vehemently opposed to "illegal tinting" can I ask 1. Do any of you use Carbon 35? and 2. Do you put ANY film on "privacy glass"? If the answer is yes to either of those questions then you are tinting "illegally" as well. Undoubtedly the most popular auto film on the market would be Suntek Carbon 35. that's a lot of illegal tints out there.

Admirable opinions GTS and similar to my own in some areas but poles apart when it comes to doing darker than legal jobs just for the money.

I'll remember that when I hit 250kms on the freeway with dark 20 film in the red stallion just because I can so.....j/k coppers.

Devil

Admirable opinions GTS and similar to my own in some areas but poles apart when it comes to doing darker than legal jobs just for the money.

I'll remember that when I hit 250kms on the freeway with dark 20 film in the red stallion just because I can so.....j/k coppers.

Devil

So that was that Red flash that I saw go past. :win :win

It is hard to get someone to listen when you say to someone that they should obey the laws, when you are going 250kms an hour. But that is the great thing about choice... It is yours to make. My opinion is that the laws are there, as confusing as they are at times.. But law and rules aside... Just consider the safety of your customers. And I am not a slave to money, I couldn't care less about it, I just need it do be able to do the things that I choose to do. And much of what my money is going to, is the industry that provides to me. And I am proud to say that it should have a long term positive affect for years to come :D

I am designing a hand held polyurithane auto squeegee, like a 2 sided Blue Max, and thinking of calling it "The Devil". After one of our industry pioneers. Let me know your thoughts.

GTS_Turbo_2_A_Green_Consept_zpsef26b4c1.jpg

Archived