ULVDS50%, Customer Concern

I got a call from a customer this morning, I installed UltraVision 50% earlier this summer on his low-e silverline atrium windows facing west. He states the windows are to hot to touch and probably nearly 150 degrees. I explained the film since not very reflective is absorbing more of the heat and stopping it at the windows VS. coming through the glass. He states his AC is running constantly and he questions the size of his AC because its a new construction but also states when he goes to the basement windows ( no tint) also facing west those windows feel about 75degrees to the touch. I explained the basement is already 10 - 15 degrees cooler to begin with and the heat is coming through those windows instead of the film stopping the heat at the glass. Can anyone chime in here and help me out the customer hung up still confused. I told him I'd be happy to come out and remove the film from one pane so he could see the difference the film is making.

I got a call from a customer this morning, I installed UltraVision 50% earlier this summer on his low-e silverline atrium windows facing west. He states the windows are to hot to touch and probably nearly 150 degrees.

I told him I'd be happy to come out and remove the film from one pane so he could see the difference the film is making.

Probably not the best film recommendation for low E atrium windows but you are definitely handling it the right way. The customer will feel the NIR reduction compared to the unfilmed window because the IR absorbing dye is filtering a lot of that out. To deal with the radiant heat coming off of the film the customer would do well to either install a fan or move the air return on the HVAC system to that part of the house so it conditions the hot air. :twocents

Guest thatsnappyguy

That film is designed to hold the heat. It is warrantied on that application, so I would have that in writing at least. Besides that, if the customer is concerned about the high levels of absorbsion, the easiest thing to possible do is film the outside of the glass with a high vlt/heat rejection exterior film. Other than that, remove the film and replace it with a film with more reflection.

actually, im not 100% about that warranty.

Absolutely, I usually recommend our DR film for that application called Fusion. It has high heat rejection and a really nice color tone. If a dealer wants a super low SA then our ThermX films are among the lowest with the 35% vlt rejecting 72%TSER... best of both worlds high light transmittance/high energy rejection and lower price. :thumb

I've gone with this film on my new home as well and now that it is 100% dry, I'm not all that rapt in the optical clarity.....there is something not quite right!

In many ways the film is excellent with high VLT and absolutely no banding, nice to install dry adhesive with no banding evident but it looks sort of optically smudgey like it has a little haze.

I'm sure this is suss to a perfectionist tinter who has seen it all and therefore I'm a tiny bit disappointed with the final result looking from inside out.

Externally it looks fine with no reflectivity and still allows vision from outside in.

Devil

absorbing more of the heat and stopping it at the windows VS. coming through the glass.

Hi Tint-Pros,

We get this exact question at least once per month this time of year. Your explanation was correct.

I tell these customers that this is an indication that the film is working. All of the reflected energy and approximately half of the heat being absorbed by the glass/film will be re-radiated back outward. Without the film in place, all of that energy would enter the room to be absorbed by (and heat up) the carpet, couch, furniture, wall coverings, etc., and this will increase the load on the A/C unit.

-Howard

Haze = depending on the film's composition is indicative of either poor PET, coated particles, poor adhesive coat, poor SRC, possible oxidation, or all of these and maybe some external issues like mounting soap, water... etc. Light is refracting off of something in that mix. :twocents

Archived