38% Automotive Film Availability ?

Most generally, in the manufacturing process, almost all window films have a variance of around +-3%. So a film that is called 38% might range out of the box from 35% to 41%. It really depends on the manufacturer and the tolerance they allow for their film to pass QC and be called that percentage. I believe Howard from EWF has posted a very nice explanation somewhere on here explaining how to calculate on glass percentages for vehicles.

I believe Howard from EWF has posted a very nice explanation somewhere on here explaining how to calculate on glass percentages for vehicles.

Hi Whitehog,

You are absolutely correct. Industry tolerances are +/- 3% on the film. The meters can vary by even more than that. Then you have the factory glass which can range from 70%-84%. This is not even close to being an "exact science".

Here is the article you are referring to:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/page/index.html/_/featured-articles/meter-math-r13

Regards,

Howard

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to add that Llumar ATC 35 is spec'd at 38.

Their 15 is an 18 and their 20 is 23. Sort of helps account for net requirements a little, but if you do the math it would still be dark.

Beside the point..Fortunately they aren't strict around here..35 is the limit but most everyone uses 20 and gets away with it. Insert smiley thumb here since the emoticons aren't on my phone :)

Archived