plasti dip

Aight so we had a guy come in and try and sell us some plasti dip. it sounds like a neat idea as far as doing emblems and what not, a question I had after he left was would we be able to use it on dot matrix. I thought it would be a neat idea because if you ever would need to peel the tint or want to redo it the plasti dip would peel right off aswell. the biggest question is would it stick or bond well to the glass. anyone ever experiment with this? if not I may have to get adventurous with this.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have never tried it on glass. i work at a new car dealership and over half of the employees have plasti dipped their cars in some way. most do the emblems. one guy did the grill. one lot attendant did his entire new scion in white plastic dip.

i know you have to spray it on really thick. if you spray it on thick, it makes it much easier to remove it. but if you spray it too thin then you are there all day trying to get it off. also when spraying it, your last coat of it must be very wet so it dries right.

Some of the videos online show how "easy" it is to remove overspray from headlights etc.Carefully planning your masking tape and protecting the areas you don't want to spray like the headliner for example you should not have issues.

The finish would depend on how well you can paint.

Guest nellc_tint

I was looking into this as well. I like the whole car idea. And I've been looking into a company that has been testing it for over a year now on some very high end machines. Looks promising. As far as using it on the top portions of back glass for a dot matrix fix??? Haven't considered that. I think it's an awesome idea. I may give that a go as well. This would be an awesome post if anyone try's it and posts up some pics. I have an 02 accord coupe that may show tomorrow I may could give it a go on. We'll see

We are an Authorized Dip Shop for Plasti Dip and Dip Your Car. I would not recommend using this stuff pre tint. It sticks to anything and everything. The optical clarity of the clear stuff is horrible and is nothing like PPF. The clear comes in a Matte and Gloss, but it only adds a sheen and not a deep wet look like traditional polyurethane paint. It can take some damage, I have been abusing the stuff on my car for months now. It is easilly removable if you get enough coats on there (5+). Any other questions let me know. To lean more, go to youtube and search for "Dip Your Car", they guys down in Florida at www.dipyoucar.com have a lot of FAQ's on it.

I plasti dipped my chrome grill shell on my 2008 silverado about a year ago. I went with white since my truck is white. It worked just like they show it does in the vids. I had ti on for about a year and i removed it about a month ago because it took a beating going up and down the interstate from rocks and other things hitting it. It wasnt hard to remove as long as you spray multiple coats and build it up to a thickness.

Plasti Dip black rims, emblems and grill. Whole car Plasti Dip blue. Carbon fiber wrap roof and hood. Full ceramic tint job. Had a good time with this one. Plasti Dip is very user friendly. Yes, lay it thick for easy removal as Lee and MDog says :thumb This was my first whole car in Plasti..

I will have to figure out how to post better res pics. Sorry

post-33927-0-64882500-1380324819_thumb.j

I've been following DYC on youtube for some time now, and I think the stuff looks amazing. I'm not sure I'd be up for doing it myself... but I def. like the look and colors they have been showing off on their channel.

It's been mentioned that you need multiple coats... I think they suggest 4-6 coats depending on color and stuff... but, in the event someone does not use enough and it's not coming off easily, all is not lost.. they have this solution you can use with a pressure washer and it dissolves it. (They have a video of it on the YT channel)

Definitely interesting stuff...

Archived