Automotive film specs are not what you think!

I have been tinting for 27 years. I have made some interesting discoveries that I would like to share. If anybody could add to this or tell me where I might be wrong, I would really appreciate it. If I am right, your life will be changed forever as a tinter. You will never look at automotive window film the same way. Enjoy the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpyqYwgZRW8&feature=share&list=UUdlsBvAHtvwzAJdwjYMRwHw

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ralph, does your IR meter measure the whole of the IR spectrum or just part of?

This is what 3M has been saying re. Crystalline/ Prestige and multi layer technology dispersing heat for a long time now isn't it?

If we cannot compare films accurately with TSER nor IR as to heat block out , then what measure do you suggest?

Not knocking you at all, in fact good on you for being proactive in this way.

Ralph,

Nice presentation I see where you going but there are some inconsistencies in your demonstration.

• Are you simulating visible light energy with that IR lamp or is it mostly just IR energy? If it is mostly IR energy then how can you accurately determine which film actually performs better when you are leaving out almost half of the Solar Spectrum (Visible Light)?
  • What em bandwith does the Beam Splitter Pro measure to determine the IR percentage number? If it is not measuring the majority of the NIR spectrum then how could you with certainty claim that the darker film rejects more IR than your Panaflex film? Add to that the fact that the energy in the IR bandwidth is not consistent at all wavelengths. Films filter energy at various wave lengths better than others, but their total energy filtering capability can only be determined by measuring the filtering ability of all 3 Solar Spectrum areas as you mentioned at the end of your video. You are not doing that.

What you are attempting to do is take two different filters and make a comparative analysis with mostly IR energy when one of those filters (the 5% film) filters most of the Solar Energy energy in the visible spectrum, the one that you did not fully simulate. Put the 70% Panaflex in real sun conditions and take your measurements. Let's see what you come up with.

I think you can make a good demonstration with what you have. However, you cannot scientifically make the point that you are trying to make. Appreciate your effort, we do need to get hard accurate facts out to the public.

:yeah If the sun isn't available try a halogen flood lamp up around 75-80 watts; it is the closest to mimicking the sun compared to any other bulb save those used in accelerated weathering and mass spectrometer. Infrared bulbs are as misleading and deceiving as infrared rejection is to reporting a film's performance. :spit

I'm just a "simple window tinter".But what you are saying is that the solar energy is not hot, and normal film gets hot from the solar energy. Is the solar energy being stopped at the film and not heating up the inside of the car? Your film stops heat, but where is the heat coming from then? Is the solar energy passing though your film and heating what it hits inside the car?

I don't mean down talk anybody...but I did mention in the video that the confusion was going to be that solar energy and heat are not the same. This video was not about solar energy; nor did I intend to turn this into a solar energy debate. It was simply about heat and how window films conduct it. That's it. I can probably think of about of 1001 ways to bring heat to a piece of glass with some tint on it. I am just trying to show what the heat does after that. If anybody can offer a better way to do it, I will make another video. I can reproduce the results with a cigarette lighter, torch, camp fire, and a heat gun just as long as I can get the glass to heat up. What I can prove is that window films conduct heat predictably depending on how they are made. I can prove it with anybodies hand. No meters necessary.

Since this video is not about solar energy, I was not trying to explain all the "contradictions" with solar energy. I was able to prove that solar energy specs do not exclusively determine how your customer is going to feel behind the wheel of a car. I clearly demonstrated that window film manages heat differently depending on how it is made. If you were an astronaut, would you be more concerned about how much IR, UV, or visible light the tiles were blocking under the space shuttle or would you want to know how much heat they blocked? Think about it... there life depended on it. What do you think our customers are really concerned about? Heat or solar energy specs?

Just remember that this is a heat demonstration. Not a solar energy demonstration. You measure heat with a thermometer in degrees (Fahrenheit or Celsius) not a meter. How much heat does your film block? If your not sure your film meter meters at the perfect nano meter range to satisfy your film rep, trust your hand. Your customers will.

Archived