Trimming PPF on vehicle

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr. Sparkle

I have been thinking about taking one of the classes in san antonio... anyone ever take the classes??? Also how prevelent is the steamer?

I just finished the intro course (4 days).  I had zero experience with PPF or any type of film / tint installation walking in.  I was fortunate to have a very small class and I learned a LOT in 4 days.  The training room has 5 combos of half hood / bumper and the bumpers are all difficult.  I'm no master installer now but I'm confident enough to start offering it to my clients.  Like any skill, its not learned overnight and I certainly did not expect to be an expert walking out.  My hats off to the pros I see around here.  

the steamer is used in their install bay but the training does not use steam at all.  I'm sure it would help but you're trained without it.  

As far as cutting on the paint, its not part of the curriculum but the trainer will show you if asked.  This may vary from film to film, but for the Xpel film when you were cutting at just the right pressure the film would kind of squeak or whine.  If you heard the squeaking its usually enough pressure to be scoring the film and pull away the excess.  I can't get it quite yet, but thats what the test hood is for.  

I have been thinking about taking one of the classes in san antonio... anyone ever take the classes??? Also how prevelent is the steamer?

I just finished the intro course (4 days).  I had zero experience with PPF or any type of film / tint installation walking in.  I was fortunate to have a very small class and I learned a LOT in 4 days.  The training room has 5 combos of half hood / bumper and the bumpers are all difficult.  I'm no master installer now but I'm confident enough to start offering it to my clients.  Like any skill, its not learned overnight and I certainly did not expect to be an expert walking out.  My hats off to the pros I see around here.  

the steamer is used in their install bay but the training does not use steam at all.  I'm sure it would help but you're trained without it.  

As far as cutting on the paint, its not part of the curriculum but the trainer will show you if asked.  This may vary from film to film, but for the Xpel film when you were cutting at just the right pressure the film would kind of squeak or whine.  If you heard the squeaking its usually enough pressure to be scoring the film and pull away the excess.  I can't get it quite yet, but thats what the test hood is for.  

Thank you very much for an honest assessment of the class.  Glad to hear it went well.  I will continue to promote their training  :thumb

Thanks for making it down to visit us, Bryan.  We know you had to travel quite a few miles to Texas!

The best thing you can do for yourself is make sure you install on at least one car per week from this point on, whether you are getting paid or not (friends, family, and neighbors might at least pay you film cost).  This way, you will make sure to retain the things you learned, and you will start to see your install times decrease over the coming weeks.  

As far as the steamers in our install bay, they are primarily used in cases where we need to remove film, but if the weather gets chilly and the film is less 65 degrees, it can help.  Also, in cases where we want to get fancy and wrap ZR1 fender vents with no relief cuts, a steamer will help loosen than film up enough to force it in there.

The warmer the better. I am a mobile installer so I have to deal with this in the winter as well... although not as much and as drastic as you. Two things I do is bring a portable heater with me and also I have the client start the car up and let it idle for 20 minutes or so before I get there. Once I get my gear unloaded into the garage I shut the car off and close the door. the engine will warm it up fairly quickly in there along with the heater. That has worked well for me in the past. I also use a heat gun and have my assistant help warm the film up in hard to stretch areas.

I have been using scalpels for trimming, you can get lots of handle and blade styles, the edges are keen and need hardly any pressure to scour the film, blades are easy to replace. go to Havels.com  to find them.

Which ones do you use?  What handle works best?  Make, model etc.  thanks 

Archived