Global reflective question

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...   I have some information to report on this.

BIG thanks to Slick who sent us a specimen cut from #13GSC72140.  I also received a call today from another board member and heavy Global user reporting a similar observation on #13GSC71513.  Our west coast crew was able to find a 20" roll with #13GSC71511, which is only 2 numbers off in sequence.

We metered the film from Slick (#72140) and compared it to the exemplar we have for that product in our warehouse.

The results were as follows (VLT/VLR/IRT@ 1100nm) respectively:

Slick's Return:                     18/4/89

Exemplar QDP20                 19/4/88

On the call I got from my other customer - results were as follows (it was a QDP05%)

Customer's Film                 6/5/89

Exemplar QDP05               6/5/88

I called Phillip, Richard & Umesh to check if they had received any reports.  Results as follows

Phillip (Global Texas)                     No reports

Richard (Global St. Louis)             No reports

Umesh (Global Viginia)                  1 report (I believe this was EC Floyd above)

As for me:

Howard (Global CT & CA)              1 Report

So the total number of reports is 3.  ECFloyd, Slick & My customer (another board member)

From the description I got from my customer - he cannot see any unusual reflectivity until the film is installed on glass.  The sample we got from Slick also looked perfectly fine.  As you can see from the readings posted above, whatever difference there is in this film - it is not detectable on our instruments.  If the film were more reflective and/or had a mistakenly added metal component, the VLR would rise and the IRT would drop.  All readings, however, are virtually spot on.

I have no doubt whatsoever that each of these customers is observing something that is not normal.  As to what is causing it - I do not know.  The film we tested gives no appearance of increased reflectivity and meters normally on the instruments.  Even my customer today noted that the film looks normal on the roll, until it is installed.  How film can take on an added reflective appearance upon application is something I can not figure out.

If possible - can I please ask each of these 3 customers to report the vehicle types?  Let's see if we can correlate something as far as the glazing?

As I mentioned, I contacted the other 3 USA Global Distributors.  Tomorrow, I will search the records and find the customer(s) that were shipped the roll numbers just before/after the numbers reported by Slick & my customer.  I will ask if they noticed anything unusual and if so, on what type of vehicle.

This is certainly a strange one - but I have figured out more difficult ones than this.  It is very odd that the problem film does not meter any differently, as an increase in surface reflectivity would dramatically shift the meter readings - by a very substantial amount.  My customer stated that the film looked normal in all respects on the roll, but turned virtually into Silver 15% after application.  Very, very strange indeed.

It is a mystery for now, but hopefully not for long.  If anyone has any theories on what this might be - no matter how wild or off the wall, I would love to hear them.

-Howard

Awesome Howard! I love how its not the installers fault when you have an issue arise with your film. Are you implying it may be an issue in the manufacturing process of the new glass? But your still willing to help installers figure out the issue even though it may no have anything to do with the film? My point is no matter what you tackle the issue here in public without ever pointing a finger to blame and your consistenly fixing any issues if any ever arise instead of dodging them. I applaud you sir and thank you for being such a positive influence to our industry. Thanks Howard and keep on keepin on brother!

Speaking for myself, it has been on all types of vehicles that I normally tint.  These would include Mazda's (3's and 6's mostly), Honda's (Accords, and Civics mostly), Ford's (Fiestas, Focus' F150s), Toyota's (Corollas, Camrys), Nissan's (Altimas and Maximas), Dodge (Avenger and a Journey), Hyundai's (Elantra's mainly since this I noticed this issue) and Kia's....all types.  It hasn't seemed to matter what year they were made.

What if you tried installing it on a piece of glass on a new car from a local dealership?  Compare the films with issues with an older roll?

Could the adhesive effect the reflectivity once applied to the glass?

I will note that the sample I sent you was not the one I had the most problem with, although I do find it more reflective than I am used to with QDP.  I am going to look around the shop and see if I can find the roll I had the biggest issue with.  I usually keep a few feet from a roll that seems different than normal....in case of warranty work or something.

Could the adhesive effect the reflectivity once applied to the glass?

Hi Slick,

I am not sure how adhesive could possibly contribute to VLRe, but when we measure the film we are simultaneously measuring the adhesive as well as the base film and all of the components. 

Since we have the roll numbers, we have already begun to compile lists of orders which were filled from the same master rolls.  As soon as that list is completed, we will begin calling customers who received rolls as close in sequence to the ones you guys reported. 

I should know more by the end of the week and I will report it.  If you want to mail us another sample, I would be glad to meter it.  Please do include the roll number.

Thanks,

Howard

Archived