CONTOURING SUNSTRIPS W/O PLOTTER

You can usually use the top edge of the windshield to cut by. I usually start with a 10" wide strip. You'll slide the whole strip past the top edge of the windshield to where most of the tint is on the roof and just the bottom edge of the strip is below the top of the windshield. Cut along the top edge using the windshield as a guide for your blade. Keep the Olfa blade super-short so as not to cut the rubber seal or the paint. There's your critical contoured edge. Finish the rest like you normally would. 

I use the factory edge of the film for the bottom part of the sunstrip, I mearsure each side and put a piece of tape on the exterior and interior of the pillar put the film in place so its just right, stick a light inside and cut it out...... stick it on, BOOM!

I use the factory edge of the film for the bottom part of the sunstrip, I mearsure each side and put a piece of tape on the exterior and interior of the pillar put the film in place so its just right, stick a light inside and cut it out...... stick it on, BOOM!

Ohio, would your method contour the bottom to match the contour of the glass as the OP asked?

I contour everything that needs it rather than leave the infamous frown ) of the straight edge on a curved screen.

As GTS suggests or more lately I've been using the same method as Palmetto.

Although Coast2Coast has posted a very nice jig he made just for this.

there is a metal "bow" that has been shown to make.  A long metal straight edge with a chain to hold it in the bow and also to be able to adjust it.

There was a guy that made a tool he called the "perfect eyebrow" or something like that...it was a tool you put a knife in and it was similar to a compass...you used the one edge to trace the glass top...

there is a metal "bow" that has been shown to make.  A long metal straight edge with a chain to hold it in the bow and also to be able to adjust it.

There was a guy that made a tool he called the "perfect eyebrow" or something like that...it was a tool you put a knife in and it was similar to a compass...you used the one edge to trace the glass top...

Yeah, I've done that before too Ryker. Just used a large enough compass and set to the required width...but I put a sharpie in the compass and traced the curve on the film then transferred to a glass cutting board and free handed the cut.

Comes out pretty good if you have a steady hand.

I'm still liking Palmetto's method the best though, on some screens though, the curve on the top of the windshield is more curved than you want, especially in the last 6" towards the edges.

Archived