Have you seen this before? Xpel Headlight protection

Hi AndyCBR,

While the film sounds like it may be beyond it's 7 year warranty, we'd be happy to have your headlights restored or replaced in this situation.  There is a very specific way in which the film should be removed to make sure the adhesive stays on the film (just like window tint), so we'd want to get you to the closest installer to make sure that any remaining removal is handled with ease.  Feel free to reach out to me at 210-678-3725 and I'll be happy to take care of you.

Thanks Jeff I will take you up on your offer for help.

Purchase date was 3/16/09 direct from XPEL.

I have been using the XPEL Headlight Film for over 10 years with no concerns.  I use both the 27mil and PPF dependent on the client wishes. I have taken the headlight film off many times with no issues.  I have had one warranty claim and XPEL handled with with ease and the client was a happy camper.  As with any of these products you may have an issue however most of the time things work out fine. 

Guest AndyCBR

AndyCBR,

Please give us a follow up on this in the next week or two.  It's good to know how a company does with customer service, good or bad.  It looks like Jeff will be helping out here, so that's a + on Xpel's Ledger.

Jeff and I have been in contact and XPEL has agreed to pay for replacement headlight assemblies ($413).  I have agreed to self install (easier for me) with my only expense being my time (a few hours).  While it may be possible for some to remove the film without damage to the headlight assemblies that was not my experience.  Jeff did suggest a heat gun is important which is something I did not try before I gave up on removal on the one light.

According to Jeff I should receive a check and I will follow up when I have the check in hand.

While it is frustrating to have a product fail and destroy the very component it was designed to protect, I have to give XPEL credit for stepping up to the plate.  Most warranties are for product only and not consequential damages and I was fully prepared to be SOL.

I asked Jeff to send another product and I may give it another try.

To be clear the vehicle is mine and has never been in a car wash it's whole life.  It has only been hand washed with Griots Car Wash which is very mild.  Based on the early failure it appears the UV has damaged the product short of its anticipated lifespan (actual time in service=5.5 years).  About a year ago the headlight covers started to exhibit a cloudy appearance, concentrated at the top.  They had finally gotten to the point where it was a safety hazard to leave them on due to diminished headlight output.

Thanks for your follow up, Andy!  The check is being mailed out today, and replacement kits were mailed out yesterday.

We sell thousands of these kits per year, and might receive 1-5 claims annually, so it isn't hard for us to stand behind our product and do the right thing.

Joe, thank you for your comments as well.

Jeff always takes care of me if I have a question. For instance I did a new C7 full clip install.  had a heck of a time with the uneven stingray emblems on each side fender. one fender had some imperfections at the top of the fender where it was more visible in the right light. the client I did it for was a good customer so it wasn't a problem to redo it. hit up Jeff and it was sent the next day.

redid it today and removed the emblems since customer got black ones instead. so much easier then trying to line it up.

next one I am not going to do the emblem cut outs. just put the badge over even on both sides. which I normally do with badges for the most part. they are thin and didn't want to break them the first time since I thought the cutouts would be even from factory. which they are not.

I have been using the XPEL Headlight Film for over 10 years with no concerns.  I use both the 27mil and PPF dependent on the client wishes. I have taken the headlight film off many times with no issues.  I have had one warranty claim and XPEL handled with with ease and the client was a happy camper.  As with any of these products you may have an issue however most of the time things work out fine. 

Just curious if you have removed the headlight film numerous times and have only had one warranty claim, why were you removing the film off of all of these lights?

I have removed standard PPF off of headlights before and it has pulled the clear coat. It happens. But to date I have removed one headlight film kit from Xpel and it pulled ALL of the clear coat off. It was an F150 and even with using heat it was all I could do to remove the film. The adhesive is the strongest I have seen out there. To me it is a recipe for disaster when the film needs to be removed. Not to mention I have never had a customer get a headlight or foglight cracked using normal 7 mil PPF. So not sure why this thicker film is even needed.

Archived