Charger back windows..... Vendetta!

McCoyH

Long time no see guys, I'll post a re-intro later.... These Chargers have always given me hell and for quiet some time I just started refusing to do them.... Beats me why, but it's one of the only cars anymore that I can't get done.... FRUSTRATING!

Anyway, I do dry H and as I start to get towards the top / bottom edge (almost done with the section I'm working with) the film will just harden where it won't srink or move anymore which results in just burning / creasing..... Any ideas?

I'll take a photo of the part where it gets hard here in a little bit.... I got one of them there cars from Satan in one of the bays right now....

:)

do a seam on one of the "frit lines" at the top if you are not getting it to shrink....

very easy to seam on the 3rd or 4th line up...nice and large for easy hiding.

I'll give her a shot. Been a long time since I've seemed one, been trying to stay away from that but you're right, those border lines at the top are crazy thick so no one would know.... :)

Ryker: No kidding, much better :) Can't even see the seam.

Rocky: Been using the SolarFX Ultra for a while. Haven;t had any issues with warranty or fading as of yet.

TintMAster: I'll give that a try next time, thanks!

Guest filbertr6

I use the H technique, I anchor one side, then stretch the crap out of it to make the fingers smaller and a lot easier to shrink. Try the lift and pull while angling the heat towards the corners some at the top and she'll lay like butter.

I used to stretch the film across the window before shrinking, but I find this "cheating" technique just causes hassle during the install, as its hard to achieve that stretched position during your actual install.  You can stretch all you want outside, and it will stay, but I find that if you stretch outside, instead of shrinking all of the stress away, that inside you just end up with fingers on the sides of your window that you are forced to heat down or add relief cuts, "both of which are a waste of time" and quality.  I say, the less stress on the film the better, practice your shrinking techniques, and maybe try another film which may shrink better for you!  Chargers are tuff, but far from impossible.  But if I were in OP's position, I would never turn away a Charger, I would just do as mentioned above, and add a full seam on the black lines at top of window, and when ever I had free time with a Charger in the shop, I would practice my full shrink methods!  Maybe on slow days, tell the charger customers that their car takes ie. 2 hours instead of 1 hour... and try shrinking with some extra time on your hands! Never turn down a job unless it is the only practical solution possible, because that person not only wont refer you to their friend, they will refer their friend to your competition!  Good luck!  

I use the H technique, I anchor one side, then stretch the crap out of it to make the fingers smaller and a lot easier to shrink. Try the lift and pull while angling the heat towards the corners some at the top and she'll lay like butter.

I used to stretch the film across the window before shrinking, but I find this "cheating" technique just causes hassle during the install, as its hard to achieve that stretched position during your actual install. You can stretch all you want outside, and it will stay, but I find that if you stretch outside, instead of shrinking all of the stress away, that inside you just end up with fingers on the sides of your window that you are forced to heat down or add relief cuts, "both of which are a waste of time" and quality. I say, the less stress on the film the better, practice your shrinking techniques, and maybe try another film which may shrink better for you! Chargers are tuff, but far from impossible. But if I were in OP's position, I would never turn away a Charger, I would just do as mentioned above, and add a full seam on the black lines at top of window, and when ever I had free time with a Charger in the shop, I would practice my full shrink methods! Maybe on slow days, tell the charger customers that their car takes ie. 2 hours instead of 1 hour... and try shrinking with some extra time on your hands! Never turn down a job unless it is the only practical solution possible, because that person not only wont refer you to their friend, they will refer their friend to your competition! Good luck!
Hmmm, I understand what your saying. That window is to big and curvy not to stretch the film. I've never had an issue with fingers on the side, I take it all the way to the top and no relief cut needed. I haven't used or even seen a relief cut since 2007, they still do that?

Archived