Complete newbie with plotters but need to buy one. Help?

Its finally come time that im losing money by not having a plotter. This year im already booked out a month and have to turn down work regularily... its time for a plotter.

Where do I start? I use 40" rolls right now and would like to stay with them if possible.... were using SolarFX Ultra, will that have a static issue with the plotter?

If someone could link me to / point me in the right direction that would be awesome!

I have a plotter that I don't use, it works great and I just replaced the cut strip and bought new blades for it. It is a DGI Omega 100 plotter. I use Film Design for all the patters. If your interested PM or email me at jeff@thetintingspot.com

If you are working solo a plotter will not speed you up that much.

That's relative. If your solo and do dealer work with many cars the same , it's great for time management . You can cut out cars for future installs and have them ready to go at a future date

i agree with Coast to Coast.. i dont' think plotter will help.. i got one and no thank you... my hand does better and faster job and no mistake...

BOOKED OUT MONTH IN ADVANCE???

thats' crazy, more chance of loosing the customer if they have to wait that long...   I was there three times... RAISE the price... 

you will loose cheap customers who you really don't want.. but will gain more expensive clients... 

you will work less and make more money...

currently my most popular package in my area is $297 while most of my competition is at $150 - $189...   I'm booked out a week out solid...

thinking about raising again and that would be 4th time...   

Good luck... too much work is a good problem to have.. focus on the quality service...

i agree with Coast to Coast.. i dont' think plotter will help.. i got one and no thank you... my hand does better and faster job and no mistake...

thats' crazy, more chance of loosing the customer if they have to wait that long... I was there three times... RAISE the price...

you will loose cheap customers who you really don't want.. but will gain more expensive clients...

currently my most popular package in my area is $297 while most of my competition is at $150 - $189... I'm booked out a week out solid...

Good luck... too much work is a good problem to have.. focus on the quality service...

Good advice! I still say there's a place for a plotter in a solo business. I've ran a business without one for 25 yrs and the last 4 yrs with one . Definitely a value in the plotter ESPECIALLY if you have dealer accounts and are solo . Too many reasons why , if you search I've got a long winded post on here as to how a Tint Tek 2020 system ( or system of choice) can pay for itself no problem even if your a solo act.

I'll start with the main one based on the argument of handcraft is always better. I happen to agree IF your a skilled cutter. Once having a plotter, give a customer the option of plotter vs hand cut . You will find most don't care, therefore you get rewarded by a bit less work. The ones that DO care , you get rewarded by getting paid extra for something that other tinters are not good at and you are finally rewarded for that extra personalized tint experience.

That extra money will pay for the system along with doing sunstrips with much less effort . I like it for the sunstrips alone not to mention pre cutting tons of dealer cars ahead of time in any spare or off hour time for a lick and stick scenerio .

thats' crazy, more chance of loosing the customer if they have to wait that long... I was there three times... RAISE the price...

currently my most popular package in my area is $297 while most of my competition is at $150 - $189... I'm booked out a week out solid...

Good advice! I still say there's a place for a plotter in a solo business. I've ran a business without one for 25 yrs and the last 4 yrs with one . Definitely a value in the plotter ESPECIALLY if you have dealer accounts and are solo . Too many reasons why , if you search I've got a long winded post on here as to how a Tint Tek 2020 system ( or system of choice) can pay for itself no problem even if your a solo act.

I'll start with the main one based on the argument of handcraft is always better. I happen to agree IF your a skilled cutter. Once having a plotter, give a customer the option of plotter vs hand cut . You will find most don't care, therefore you get rewarded by a bit less work. The ones that DO care , you get rewarded by getting paid extra for something that other tinters are not good at and you are finally rewarded for that extra personalized tint experience.

That extra money will pay for the system along with doing sunstrips with much less effort . I like it for the sunstrips alone not to mention pre cutting tons of dealer cars ahead of time in any spare or off hour time for a lick and stick scenerio .

I agree with you on the sunstrips. Haha, I normally save the bottom off a rear for them. However it is a pain in the butt when a customer wants it "straight" and not curved. I miss the plotter when doing the few dealers we do here. None of the reasons mentioned matter if you don't have a good plotter, or now how to use it to keep up with the maintenance. I have a friend in Tn that bought one brand new from signwarehouse as a package deal and has not used it, simply because he doesn't know about it and has yet to learn to understand the different programs.

I do the tint myself because I cant find anyone who can tint in the area... my company also does $15k / month in dealer detailing and a lot of times I try to help out my detailers so im trying to cut time on tint jobs... If you dont think itll help that much ill just continue without it... pretty expensive piece of equipment lol

Archived