Hi All,

Had a play around with PPF for the first time with the sample roll of Suntek they were great enough to give me. Wanted to see how different it was to apply other then the vehicle wraps we are used to. Some skills are transferable but still much to learn.

It obviously left me with a number of questions but will wait until I read all 30+ pages in this forum of PPF and absorbed all other tips from other various sources (have previously mentioned the live training difficulties where im located)

I used 2 drops of JJ for Slip but was a bit too tacky so think I might try 3 next time. I then wrapped the corners around (as we do with wraps). I didn't use anything to tack the edges, post heated the edges whilst running my finger along them.

My main question is the edge it leaves across the bonnet, im sure when I have seen pictures or cars in the flesh with PPF the line hasn't been this noticeable. Not sure what else I could have done to make it any different.

I cant imagine someone choosing to have a line like this across the bonnet as it looks like a big scratch, do they really accept this? if it is normal I think there may not be the uptake I had hoped or I have to convince people for a full bonnet, fender etc wrap instead.

post-36684-0-13869000-1400539800_thumb.j

Guest kccartint

Looks like the factory edge.  Often times the factory edge is rough and will show more then a clean cut from a blade or plotter.  Silver is one of those colors that tend to show that line a bit more as well.  There is no rule to mixing your solution.  Just mix it till your happy. 

Thanks for that. Thought there must be something a miss. The picture doesn't actually do it justice, its a bit grainy but also no the best light so it is actually more noticeable under good light.

Trying to cut a straight even line across a bonnet with a blade wouldn't work too well so im guessing a plotter is the way to go which means buying kits from the distributor as our plotter isn't the greatest.

I have read knifeless doesn't cut through it but in know they have one out that is made for thicker vinyl (i.e two pieces overlapping) so I might have a play with it also. Having said all this I do expect a factory roll edge to be better than this when they do sell shorter width rolls to allow you to bulk roll 1/4 bonnets/panels.....

Use fine line tape across the hood as a guide to make it straight. Or if your not comfortable cutting on the car just cut a bit off on your cutting table before you install it.

Comfortable with cutting on a car, just not comfortable cutting a straight line without it being wonky :blink  Happy to cut it on a table before, just find it a little weird that have to make my own edge rather than use the natural edge of the roll but I guess this is part of the fun of working out the differences between PPF and vinyl

Comfortable with cutting on a car, just not comfortable cutting a straight line without it being wonky :blink  Happy to cut it on a table before, just find it a little weird that have to make my own edge rather than use the natural edge of the roll but I guess this is part of the fun of working out the differences between PPF and vinyl

Cutting your own edge will only be a bit better than the factory edge Supreme, it may still be an issue for you. The edge will never totally disappear and even stands out a bit more also when the car is dirty.

Just make sure your custy is aware of this and it is not an issue - or sell him on the whole bonnet.

The plastic bonnet protector is even more obvious but isn't it?

definitely realise there will always be an edge just wasn't expecting it to be this noticeable, it really does make people stop and ask what is that line across the bonnet. Have seen some where you really have to get close to the car to see the edge. As KCCartint mentioned the silver prob shows it up more.

Funny you mention the plastic bonnet protector, that was what was on the car to start with, Its the wifes car and when she seen the line her comment was 'ahh I think I prefer the plastic thing on the front' :lol

Definitely will be pushing for whole bonnets but I guess it would be another market for those that cant afford full bonnets if the line wasn't as bad. Will pre trim it and try again to check the difference between factory and hand trim.

definitely realise there will always be an edge just wasn't expecting it to be this noticeable, it really does make people stop and ask what is that line across the bonnet. Have seen some where you really have to get close to the car to see the edge. As KCCartint mentioned the silver prob shows it up more.

Funny you mention the plastic bonnet protector, that was what was on the car to start with, Its the wifes car and when she seen the line her comment was 'ahh I think I prefer the plastic thing on the front' :lol

Definitely will be pushing for whole bonnets but I guess it would be another market for those that cant afford full bonnets if the line wasn't as bad. Will pre trim it and try again to check the difference between factory and hand trim.

There is a pretty big market already for just the bonnet strip, (a lot more strips than full bonnets) , but usually you only extend it about 300 - 400mm from the leading edge. I don't do as much anymore but did tons of it a decade ago when the films were nowhere near as advanced as they are today.

Some brands are a hell of a lot clearer than others also, which is why you were chasing Expel Ultimate I suppose. For example, the new SG clearshield looks much clearer and is easier to work than the old clearshield which had a real orange peel look to it.

You will see the edges wherever you use the product - its just inherent and it won't be a problem if you word your custy up first.

If your customers can see it on your car or on a display in the showroom, then they will understand.

You have to stop thinking wraps - where you cover the whole panel in 1 piece - and start thinking like 'its better than a plastic bonnet protector which collects leaves and breaks and makes it hard to wash the car or the ugly car bra.

If your custy really doesn't like the look of the edges then you are perfectly placed with your wrapping skills to wrap the whole car in ppf if they want to pay.

I would never cut across a bonnet, not that I am not happy with bulk installs just more scope to go wrong, wavy lines etc. If you have a plotter why don't you use it, that way you can design the film with a slight curve, this tends to disguise the edge a lot more and when you do see it it will look more like its been designed for the car not just a strip of film stuck on. It has to be better than the alternatives ie stone chips or the black vinyl bras, either of which are a lot more noticeable probably 70% of my work is part bonnets and the rest full front ends, as has been said it's all about managing customers expectations.

Steve 

Thanks for the info guys.

The plotter is not a good one at all, gets the job done for the odd window sticker but it has its issues which could mean a lot of wasted vinyl. A new one isnt on the list as it was never needed for vehicle wrapping but hey if PPF opens a new door for the business i will invest. So until then my options are bulk rolls or precut kits straight from Suntek. Seems as though the kits will have a better finish but i am just used to wrapping edges from our day to day wrapping and prefer the finish.

i guess if people are happy with partial bonnets then kits will do as, if they are going to have the edge across the bonnet then they wont really care about one on all edges. Can save the edge wrapping for thos that want a custom full bonnet, full fender etc i guess..

Archived