exterior films not needing edges sealed ?

Hey guys,

is there any products out there that do not need the edges to be sealed? i had a customer wanting balcony balustrades tinted but i explained how the film will lift if not sealed.

also  what are your recomendations when it comes to frost vinyls for external use? ive used several over the years but always open to new ideas, longevity is a key concern

I've used Madico's blister free which was overlapped onto their 100 micron security and it was never sealed and has been out in the most harsh of elements for near on 10 years now and is still going strong.

Vandals have graffiti attacked it and a contract cleaner did some scratching to it on removal and it has still hung in there.

Devil

Most external films the manny stipulates edge sealing Mates. I have installed SG ex silver and not edge sealed as it was only supposed to be a short term thing, and the stuff still looks good today 10 years later.

3M PR external doesn't require edge sealing unless you have water pooling issues.

Others may have more input here as well, GTS may chime in if your lucky :D

Mmmm..... I did a house job with some external silver. Some I sealed some I didn't.

I guess weather comes into it, one was out in the open, one was under cover.

I think water is the biggest issue to cause it to lift (rain) which is why I think some people will say you don't have to deal the top edge.....

Even though sometimes I don't, I still think sealing is safe. I understand May not look as clean, even if you do a top job sealing.

Vinyls I would 100% unless it's short term, especially if it's balustrades in the open.

Maybe ask if he likes a particular colour of silicon? Or even some tape?

the only way i could seal glass balustrades neatly would be a strip of vinyl that wraps around the edge. sealing vinyl frost  isn't needed, iv done a handful of outdoor frost and had no peeling issues except for a pub where pissed people peeled bits off LOL

this is just for future reference, i will check out this blister free and might grab some and test it.

Archived