The domestic tint market

I'm currently looking to buy a home for my son and with all my extensive travels around, I hardly ever see any film gone up on houses.

This is nothing like what it use to be years ago where I could see a multitude of homes tinted in one day in any part of the city.

The domestic flat glass market IMHO has failed dismally to grow and expand and if anything, film that was installed where I know it once was has been pulled off and never replaced.

Would anyone care to agree with me? I do have the advantage of hindsight.

Devil

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know Dev, :dunno

Might be a local thing. Another tinter I know from around your neck of the woods says that solar film isn't as big as deco film there.

My solar FG business is growing at a good rate every year with the typical $$$ value of the job increasing markedly from what an average job was back in the 90's.

I put that down to there being a hell of a lot more glass in a typical house these days.

And maybe I'm just better at selling these days also. :embar

I'm currently looking to buy a home for my son and with all my extensive travels around, I hardly ever see any film gone up on houses.

This is nothing like what it use to be years ago where I could see a multitude of homes tinted in one day in any part of the city.

The domestic flat glass market IMHO has failed dismally to grow and expand and if anything, film that was installed where I know it once was has been pulled off and never replaced.

Would anyone care to agree with me? I do have the advantage of hindsight.

Devil

I met a window tinter at Hawaii and the flat glass is booming for him in the States particularly with the high rises/hotels.

Your buying your son a house and you have hindsight....

And your single??? Wow!

I think your both right, not many people know the advantages about solar film except for a bit of privacy.... until I tell them. Guess it's a good thing both residential and commercial jobs get left to those who go and get it instead of those who wait around

I agree with you to some degree there Devil. But I'm not sure if it's just that houses are going up so fast all over the place that the ratio is now a little more skewed. Plus the introduction of cheap split system air conditioners make people go for the band-aid instead of the cure...

I think 35 is right. Those who go out and get the work are going to be far better off than those who sit by a phone and wait for it to ring.

What got me thinking came about when I saw a home that had some cathedral angled windows tinted in fully reflective Bronze 15.

I immediately thought to myself....film... wow how old has that got to be?

Back in the late 70's, this film was all the rage and came as a breath of fresh air compared to the dreadful looking silver 20 alternative that came over from commercial film market.

But today it's a rarity to see any home film even in new areas my search has taken me.

Admittedly some of the lighter semi reflective films do look like low E glass to be not confused with but gee there's nothing around like it use to be.

At a Devil guess? I go as far as saying 70% less awareness and usage.

Much of the market that is there now is accommodated a lot stronger by the glazing market with tinted glass of some sort or nature.

Rocky....The white frost/deco market however is killing the market that never was in dem dare old'n days but that's another topic.

Devil

Why would someone in melbourne want to block the heat coming in there home when we really only want to block it out for maybe two months of the year and really its not even that long.

The rest of the time Melbournians embrace the sun as much as they can.

Mr Eddie Mguire this morning on radio station MMM was advertising window tint.

It wasn't targeted at heat rejection but at heat retention.

Yeah man, Melbournes market would be completely different. Then again I've had 2 customers lately that I've had to convince out of spending a large amount on low e film and just get matrix 40 because although I told them over n over why low e wouldn't be what they want, they heard about it on the radio..... If only I had enough cash to advertise

Mr Eddie Mguire this morning on radio station MMM was advertising window tint.

It wasn't targeted at heat rejection but at heat retention.

Who was he doing that for GT?

Maybe I should get Sammy Newman to advertise for me as he is one of my customers?

Dev

Archived