my landord rented a space 3 doors down to another tint shop

It's inconsiderate at the least.  So your landlord/broker apparently don't value your opinion or your long term plans, cause if they did they would have at least brought it up to gauge your reaction and then decide best option.  They certainly were not obligated to lease to another similar business.  Worst case scenario is the new competition approach your clientele base after seeing whom you cater to and maybe learn from your business plan becoming better than they would without the proximity.   I personally thinks its unacceptable, and not like there were not lots of other places available in your market.  They without a doubt stand to benefit far more than you will from this arrangement.  Regardless, I don't think it will affect you much but do think it was inappropriate. 

I would be boiling mad !

^This

It's very bad form.

It will without a doubt have an affect on your business, some times good, some times bad.

If it were me I'd be revamping my signage, showroom/reception and point of sale material. You want to look the most inviting and professional of the two options; you want to make an impression on any and all clientele.

I'd also have a friend shop the new shop to see how you compare :twocents

Yeah Ive already told the broker and landlord Im going to keep track of everything that changes, and my attorney will be in touch with them.  The main worst issue is that we have a locked gate to the back lot, and now we have a bunch of random people with access. More security cameras going up too.  And I'm going to wrap the whole front of my shop with graphics to at least draw focus.  Inconsiderate to say the least is the truth. And the fact the broker told me he spoke with the new tenant and "He's a really nice guy, he's happy to meet you and hope you can learn form each other"  and "I asked him is he minded being near your shop and he said he didn't".  The least I could expect would be to get the same conversation.  Ill just have to see how it plays out.  Ive had my guys go by there and just say whats up, but no one has come by to introduce themselves as the owner or operator.  Its sketchy to say the least.  

its unethical of broker and landlord. I inquired on a space in a different building and they didnt want to rent to similar business. Hopefully you have the better location and people stop at you 1st. I would take any job that came in the door and schedule my day to be able to work some in short notice and see how it played out. Im sure you are going to loose some to them by accident. You will also get people coming and complaining thinking you did a job that you didnt do. It could effect your reputation of they are bad and people talk about that shop.

My landlord at my second location did the same thing about 9 months ago. I wasn't too impressed but it is what it is.

On the outside appearance, they have a much nicer shop and their tinter is a nice enough guy .

I feel I carry a better product with unmatched tinting experience . I will lose some customers for sure but I just draw to myself the clientele I'm suppose to have.

Well I've had a few customers walk in and ask for the wrong person. But one customer just said, oh well I don't care Ill let you guys tint it. Probably because I had a 2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe chilling inside we just finished lol. So Im thinking its going to have random new customers every now and then.  Other than that, the only issues still is no one has come over to introduce themselves as owner/operator. Just seems a little odd. 

Well I've had a few customers walk in and ask for the wrong person. But one customer just said, oh well I don't care Ill let you guys tint it. Probably because I had a 2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe chilling inside we just finished lol. So Im thinking its going to have random new customers every now and then.  Other than that, the only issues still is no one has come over to introduce themselves as owner/operator. Just seems a little odd. 

He/ She probably knows that they have been a bit cheeky and are waiting for you to make the first move.

How do you see  your relationship progressing? Do you walk in with a hand extended in friendship or holding a Desert Eagle with a full clip?

He/ She probably knows that they have been a bit cheeky and are waiting for you to make the first move.

How do you see  your relationship progressing? Do you walk in with a hand extended in friendship or holding a Desert Eagle with a full clip?

LOL, I would walk over with one of each!

Archived