looking to become a window tinter

Lots of advice and opinions here huh! Some I would agree with and some not.

Congrats on breaking into the ThunderDome successfully being new to tinting. This can be a tough place but once you get used to us it gets better! A great group of people and lots to learn on TintDude. I say go for it. Take the diga training if it's free and get as much as you can from it. You probably will not learn much hand cutting or shrinking but you will learn enough to find out if you really like the business.

Im lucky enough to teach auto window tinting around the world and can tell you it takes a passion for perfection to make a Tinter. Not that most of us do quote "perfect" work we really strive to do so.

Take the training from the dealership and see what you think! If you like the industry keep learning, use the search feature here on TD.

I teach small intense hands on classes in Saint Louis Mo and Portland Or that most people here would be surprised how much you can learn. Are you going to be a jet fighter pilot after my class....no .... But you will know how to fly the plane! The secret is practice practice and practice more practice. I teach you in a week the easiest way to practice to learn with the least amount of the ambition killer STRESS!

I also have a 14 hour DVD learning library on auto tinting that lots of people start with and if they want more on how to tint cleaner faster and easier I take the cost of the DVD training off of the hands on later. Also a pretty good discount on them offered only to people here on TD.

PM me if or when your interested. I think there might be room for at least one more Tinter in the business for serious people who want to do more with their future.

Cheers mang

Stan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with stan, digicut will not teach you cutting and not much shrinking, you will learn the basics but not much more. one thing I tell everyone I train is tinting is 80% prep and only 20% install. learning how film is going to react when shrinking and installing takes time and practice. but with all that said a training class especially if you can go for free will give you a glimpse into our world and you will know right away if its for you. I wish you luck, hope you like it and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I have 35 years experience tinting and never mind helping out newbies.

What is this pot of gold ye talk about?

OK I've said this enough times and it becomes long winded to keep saying it....

So by all means, go for it.

It's easy, it's like putting on a bit sticker, it's just water and soap no chemicals that can damage your car and it goes on the inside.....

You've probably seen it on YouTube enough to know how to do it too.

Plus, what a way to compliment someone getting into the industry with no experience just because he wants money..... by working at a dealership whose willing to take a monkey on for peanuts so they don't have to pay a pro installer a good earn for his trade

:stop your'e going to scare all the desire out of the dreamers with the truth  :lol    But.... more power to someone who wants to better their position in life !!!!

Training classes are quite expensive. If your going to pay for a class at least have some basic knowledge. Watch some youtube videos. Absorb some basic knowledge from this forum. Go to AutoZone and buy some cheap film just to get a feel for it. I've trained a few guys in the past, and it just seems like a waste of time if they know nothing. It's discouraging as a trainer when someone walks in and knows nothing and expects to walk out in a week as a tinter. When if they had just had some basic knowledge they could have gotten so much more out of the class.

Archived