Wrapping car with sand marks?

Guest njjawn

Guest njjawn

Hey everyone,

Lets start off by saying I'm an amateur when it comes to vehicle Wrapping.

The car I have to wrap had a bad maaco paint job. There's no chips or deep scratches, but the car was sanded too deep when it was prepped for paint. You can see the sand marks in the paint, but you can't feel them. From my limited experience, I don't forsee this as being a problem, but I just wanted to check before moving foward.

Thanks

Watch out for the cheapo paint jobs under a wrap. I did my buddy's boxter that had the bumper painted at macco. A few weeks later it looked like the film was lifting in the air-dams. When I took a look at it, it was actually the paint peeling up from the bumper underneath.

:yeah

Most wraps will pull poorly done paint work.

My own car was previously wrapped,damaged repaired and wrapped again by the original owner.(large electronics retailer)

How do I know...

The wrap removal peeled the clearcoat in certain areas. Close inspection showed the paint was not sanded before the clearcoat was added.

Guest njjawn

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure how I want to handle this now... it's a miata, so there aren't too many tight angles that would require the wrap the be stretched to the point of peeling the paint up... or so I hope.

I'd also be nervous about repositioning the film when applying it. I use 1080 series so every reposition puts a good amount of grip/stress on the paint.

:yeah

Make sure they cover you for materials, they sign a waiver that has things like sub par paint, repainted surfaces etc in it. It doesn't have to be a 'stretched' area to lift the paint. If the paint is weak to begin with then even a flat surface that you didn't need to reposition can lift underneath.

I wouldn't get into body work yourself. The one time we did it we wet sanded to the point it felt completely smoothed. Once wrapped you could see the ripples through the wrap where we clearly didn't do as good of job as we thought. Lucky it was one of our display cars but we will never do bodywork again, leave that to the professionals.

Depends what kind of finish he is after, it sounds as though it is a beat up old ride so even wrapping it in its current condition will make it look 100 times better. The owner cant expect a paint like finish. Although as a wrapper we don't like to say it but the expression goes 'paint protection, not paint perfection'. The product is made for new OEM paint to protect it (and obviously alter it). Although it is used on many other applications including old cars, you can expect that using it outside of a surface it was meant for (and looks good on) will be done so at the customers own risk to longevity and overall look.....

Archived