Hi Go2Guy

Hanita has sputtering capability, so I would move them up one category.

If or where 3M is doing their own laminating, I have no direct knowledge.  Have any board members here actually ever visited a laminating line that was directly owned and operated by 3M?

-Howard

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can say that aswf auto films poly did not feel like either llumar nor global. Was told early that they were using cp films poly but it was not what llumar was made with for sure. That was a few years ago though.

Hi Ryker,

Perhaps it was not a dip-dyed polyester.  It could have been a dyed-chip extruded base.  In most cases, a manufacturer will share this information, although they will probably not disclose the source. 

-Howard

There's a name I remember well.

It was just a few years ago whereby CCL found themselves embroiled in a lawsuit with CPFilms over patent violation of the deep dye process. I believe the history of the patent dates back to the seventies (edit: maybe the sixties for that matter) when the Hermes family, owners of Martin Processing, ran out of options for dying yarn. Mr Hermes spent some time in Germany investigating options only to return to develop the process that led to the patents held to this day.

It's quite possible Mr Garware developed their current technology in India which must not violate or may not fall under the jurisdiction of a US patent at the time. Don't know much more than that. 

Props has to go to Garware because they've come a long way.

I remember film produced by Joe's group and when installing to residential the dye was run down the sills and walls with the slip solution. :facepalm2 

May have been a different process but, my memories of installing ITD Metallized Products film is limited to a short period of time. I got turned off from chasing dye running down painted walls and when a car returned in three months time with film that went from smoke as smoke gets to flamin purple that hurts the eyes just looking at it. :lol

Archived