High prices!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll end by me saying this thread is absolutely no where I was hoping it would go. I think it was stan or someone who said it best a while back. We're just putting plastic on glass. Everyone's work I repeat everyone's work is going to have some imperfections in it. Our job as professionals is to minimize those. I don't have a shop that I tint out of I do it right out of my 2 car garage. I tint at mine and my customers leisure. This means sometimes I tint late at night when the wife is at work and the kids are asleep. I'm not bound by any hours of operation or rental contracts. I'm comfortable at the prices I charge and my customers are happy to pay it (not a 99 guy). If any of this makes me any worse than the rest of you guys then so be it.

Hey jh812,

It would make sense that you charge less than a shop that runs staff and has expensive overheads.

I would suggest you have a look at your taxable income each financial year and that will give you your answer.

If after all expenses (Inc insurance, etc..) you make less than 70k per year, then you are likely underpaid in comparison to someone else with 10 years of experience.

I do find it strange that you think others overcharge. No one is tinting for charity, people are out to make their mark, and become financially well off aren't they? So, if you are happy tinting from your garage until retirement because you make ends meat, then I wouldn't judge others that want to target the high end market. They have more risk, more outlay, more stress, more overheads and potentially should make more money.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

OK so originally I was talking way out of the park figures. I know what the others charge in my area. I may be off from them excluding a couple by 10 or 20 bucks. Now California prices not even close. Someone posted a pic the other day of their prices on a sheet of paper. For the most part im really close to that. As far as being happy where I'm at? I'm extremely happy. I have zero desire to go full time and work 40 hours a week on this. I worked in an industry world where I generally had to work 50 to 60 hours a week. I quit that so that I could stay at home with my kids and home school them.

I don't see why any pricing is deemed outrageous....

I went to a transmission shop in Colorado about 10 years ago. Standard set up. Clean waiting area with a tv. Nothing fancy... Average I would say.

Later I went to a transmission shop in California. They had a waiting room that was almost the size of my house. Super swanky, computer stations for waiting customers to use. Full beverage service available. Catered breakfast, lunch and dinner for those waiting.

The California shop was almost 3 times the price of the Colorado shop.... But I would goto that California shop any day over anywhere else and happily pay for the experience.

Now was one shop outrageously priced over the other ??? :dunno

I don't see why any pricing is deemed outrageous....

I went to a transmission shop in Colorado about 10 years ago. Standard set up. Clean waiting area with a tv. Nothing fancy... Average I would say.

Later I went to a transmission shop in California. They had a waiting room that was almost the size of my house. Super swanky, computer stations for waiting customers to use. Full beverage service available. Catered breakfast, lunch and dinner for those waiting.

The California shop was almost 3 times the price of the Colorado shop.... But I would goto that California shop any day over anywhere else and happily pay for the experience.

Now was one shop outrageously priced over the other ??? :dunno

Sure beats walking up and down the streets of an unknown neighborhood while waiting on service to be done.

Jh. More power to you for making yourself happy. :thumb

I am not far off from Shadytint's price list either. But it I go up any, I will lose business to the other shops that are at my current price. If I up my prices, it's in small increments, say $20 here or there. And if I need to go back, I'm not losing out if they don't want to take to the new pricing.

I'm wondering if some of the pricing you were hearing was for ceramic or higher end film. :dunno

Said shop was caught in the typical price war, 5$ downward at a time to keep pace with what competitors were doing. Said shop tired of the downward spiral dramatically raised their prices for tint to the point they were easy 100$ above the closest competitor and that was for a pick up truck. Yes they suffered a slow down for a period of time however, public perception brought business back up for said shop. Joe Public perceived the high dollar place had to be the best in town at those prices. 

True story ^

If you try this yourself, just be able to deliver on Joe's perception. Capitalize on those things that set you apart from the rest and you can charge any price you want. Hence, the transmission shop with a house sized waiting room with all the entertainment bling to keep the client happy.

There is a wallet for every product )and business)!  :thumb Something learned in a sales seminar.

And no, the thread starting shop is priced right where they want to be, they know what they're doing.

There's a customer for every type of set up and a set up for every type of customer, that's one aspect of capitalism, niches get filled.

That being said, I'm of the feeling that people pay more willingly for a good overall experience than just the product being installed. Sure, you obviously would get more for say a ceramic install over basic dyed. But people will even pay more if they simply just like you. Like your business. Like your service. I could care less what somebody else charges. I charge what I want and feel is fair for what the customer gets.

That being said, I'd rather be pumping out twice as much work if there's a small difference in price for the volume and the hassles are eliminated. If I'm say $20-30 less for a dealer car that is easy to work with than the same model off the street, and they send 20+ units a month with no extra PR work, that's a win for me.

For the record, full cars for myself typically run $220-400 depending on what is installed and what the vehicle is. The lowest price there is still technically above what I want in my mind to make good money on an easy unit. 

Also, as an aside opinion, higher prices would be good though. A full vehicle should pushing 80-100 more if the install is flawless than what is the 'average' here. Why? Because, last time I had work done on my truck the shop rate was $5 bucks higher an hour than a year before. And last time I bought a case of beer, it was more than it was a year ago. We live in some weird, frozen price land sometimes doing this. Stuff should go up.

My main point is though... who cares what Joe's Epic Tints across town charges? Just be better than him to deal with. And if you are... charge more. You'd be surprised how well you'll make out if you sell yourself on that.

Archived