High prices!

Honestly it helps seperate the amateur and/or hack shops/installers some.  Even if a person choose a $99 tint job now, the odds are against it coming out good or lasting a long time so maybe they will choose better the second time.  Once there was a tint shop owner buying some lighting from us and at the time he was a $99 shop.  We were ringing up a car right next to him that came to $740.  As soon as the customer left he was like WTF are you putting on that car.  Told him it was for the Huper Optik Select and was just the sides and rear.  He couldn't believe it, but within a few months his entry level price went up to $149.

:yeah

If these are the glasses you choose to look through then

Every business has the same problems

market saturated

$99 shops

illegal installs

I never see the big guys complain about it :dunno , I doubt a 5 star restaurant that only sells hamburges is worried that Mc D's will steal its customers or put it out of business. I think I've said it before - Kia dealership and BMW can be next to each other and do great. they don't share the same target market. they both sell cars, they both go to the store, pick up the kids.  There is a service and a product for everyone. If $99 shops didn't exist then there would just me more "DIY" and we'd be discussing that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes sir I'm with you

Why would anyone on here call any price 'outrageous' ?? That doesn't make any sense ??

Why are tinters set on devaluing their service ?

Any other trade does everything to build value and service..... I feel window tinters should strive to do the same.

Honestly it helps seperate the amateur and/or hack shops/installers some.  Even if a person choose a $99 tint job now, the odds are against it coming out good or lasting a long time so maybe they will choose better the second time.  Once there was a tint shop owner buying some lighting from us and at the time he was a $99 shop.  We were ringing up a car right next to him that came to $740.  As soon as the customer left he was like WTF are you putting on that car.  Told him it was for the Huper Optik Select and was just the sides and rear.  He couldn't believe it, but within a few months his entry level price went up to $149.

I never see the big guys complain about it :dunno , I doubt a 5 star restaurant that only sells hamburges is worried that Mc D's will steal its customers or put it out of business. I think I've said it before - Kia dealership and BMW can be next to each other and do great. they don't share the same target market. they both sell cars, they both go to the store, pick up the kids.  There is a service and a product for everyone. If $99 shops didn't exist then there would just me more "DIY" and we'd be discussing that.

Exactly, all industries have the same layout.  No matter what is being purchased, there are different customer bases.  Each industry has people catering to the different customer bases.  The $99 tint shops take care of a customer base that I personally do not want to.  So they can gladly take them and help put food on their table, nothing wrong with that.  If they want to tint 4 cars and make less than we do on 1 car, that is perfectly fine.  I make sure I stay up to date on what all my competitors are selling, but besides that I worry about my business only and what I am doing right & wrong.  People spend too much time worrying about what other people are doing instead of focusing on themselves.  Do you think a Lamborghini Dealership gives 2 F's about what the Honda, Kia, Lexus, and BMW dealerships are doing done the road?  Hell no, they are taking care of a customer base that would not be shopping with them in the first place.  And if those dealerships didn't exist, they still wouldn't sell anymore cars because the same people can't afford it.  I am surprised at how many people on here cry about this or cry about that when if they had their way their business would still be the absolute same.   :yawn

Exactly.

So why not shape your business to cater to those on the upper end of the scale??? Might as well... I have a friend that does that for auto... I'm trying to do that for flat... More money in less time... less headaches & problems.  :thumb

Exactly.

So why not shape your business to cater to those on the upper end of the scale??? Might as well... I have a friend that does that for auto... I'm trying to do that for flat... More money in less time... less headaches & problems.  :thumb

Yep, you determine the customer base you attract.  Getting rid of cheap tint shops are only going to turn those cheap customers into DIY's.  Then those DIY's will turn back into cheap tint shops.  Personally I think $200 is a great starting price for automotive and a color stable film. which is where we start and up to $700.  Paying $500 for that is ridiculous when the film costs $20 or less per vehicle.  I seriously think getting hourly rates for tint on the same level as say a lawyer is a little ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, it would be great, but come on.  Mentioning FG, we do not install anything under Ceramic meaning our square foot price starts in the double digits.  We do this because if we are going to take time to drive there, quote, answer a million questions, demo products, and have to come out a second time to complete the job than we are going to make enough money on it to be worth it.  That doesn't make me want to get rid of all the shops that start at $5 sqft.

I seriously think getting hourly rates for tint on the same level as say a lawyer is a little ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, it would be great, but come on.  

I don't mind. :) 

You figure - a lawyer is supposed to be an expert in law... a top notch tinter should be an expert in film technologies. Both are experts in fields that just not anybody can be successful in.   :thumb

I seriously think getting hourly rates for tint on the same level as say a lawyer is a little ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, it would be great, but come on.  

I don't mind. :)

You figure - a lawyer is supposed to be an expert in law... a top notch tinter should be an expert in film technologies. Both are experts in fields that just not anybody can be successful in.   :thumb

True and I would love to charge, don't get me wrong.  More money is never a bad thing.  However, tinters do not invest the same amount of money that say lawyers do to go through school.  Most I would say are self taught or taught for free through shops.  If someone invest $200k to learn how to tint that are differently in the wrong business.

Archived