Peanuts on common car backwindows.

Thanks for all the input, we do ALL back windows with 0000 steel wool but still have some that we have to sand. On the outside of the glass the film is smooth but I could start checking with water.

I have not heard of the over/under method, What is that? We use irish spring to soap up the back windows and we shrink the back window first so the film has time to 'relax' while we do the others and make sure something does not pop up.

Thanks for the input and I will try to search the over/under method.

Doug

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the input, we do ALL back windows with 0000 steel wool but still have some that we have to sand. On the outside of the glass the film is smooth but I could start checking with water.

I have not heard of the over/under method, What is that? We use irish spring to soap up the back windows and we shrink the back window first so the film has time to 'relax' while we do the others and make sure something does not pop up.

Thanks for the input and I will try to search the over/under method.

Doug

Do a search on the Ryker method, it might help. 

So you guys are just using 0000 steel wool with soapy water on the inside for cleaning every time, then presqueegee then lay tint.  Am I reading that right?

For me:    I always spray with install solution and scrub really well(lots of elbow grease)  with only four aught steel wool 0000.  Then wipe clean with a lint free,, respray and scrub with a white scrubby.  Squeegee clean, inspect visually, spray and squeegee again.   Now ready for install if it passes visual inspection.  :twocents

I rarely use sandpaper and if I do, it's only on the dot matrix.   Hope this helps.  :beer 

So you guys are just using 0000 steel wool with soapy water on the inside for cleaning every time, then presqueegee then lay tint. Am I reading that right?

I try and use it as little as possible. I'd rather work out one or two peanuts than a redo for a damn strand of that stuff somewhere. That being said if I read up here that you need to use it on a window I will. Or if I'm stripping a back glass.

What is peanuts? Is that the same as fingers when we are heat shrinking? I did a 2015 Dodge Challenger today and I have air pockets pop up after I'm done laying the film. They start on the defroster and run with it, either vertical or horizontal. Could be on the edge or middle. 3 times seems to be the charm. I only have this problem on all the Dodge products cars, 300, 600, charger etc. I scrub the window with the white scuff pad but, I still have the same problem. You mention the 0000 steel wool, that doesn't scratch the glass? I remember the 1985 - 1989 Ford Thunderbird had small metal like pieces on the glass that had to scraped off with a plastic razor blade before tinting or it looked liked a starry, starry night.

Dodges and a few other cars seem to have "crusty" defrosters that need steel wool scrubbing,white scotchbrite isn't as good for them but it doesn't rust

After some screwing around with them little bubbles/peanuts?lol,,i let them sit(sunlight is best) then heat it and poke a little hole on the defroster line to let the air out

Archived