Peanuts on common car backwindows.

Has anyone else had recent issues (LAst 12 months) of customers coming back with a couple of peanuts on the back windows?

When the vehicle leaves everything is fine but in a couple of weeks they come back and they have 2-4 bubbles on the back window always on the defrost.

I know this is a issue with Nissan older vehicles but fixed that with sanding.

I have found its more common on dodge products but have seen it on just about all makes now.

We have been sanding more back windows (2000 grit) but still have some issues. Also I have switched between tint slime and baby shampoo with the same results.

Any input is appreciated.

Also have tried different films on friends cars with the same result.

Is the auto industry putting a chemical on the rear defrosters that is causing this.

One last thing, In all cases I heat up the back window and get the peanuts to lay down. In some cases I can even just use my finger.

And yes I do hard card the back window to get as much water as I can out.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the film look if you pull it off the back glass and hold it out?  The more wavy it is the more likely you are going to get peanuts.  The film will always try to go to the shape it is. 

There are many ways to shrink and get smoother film.  I know I very seldom get any peanuts since I began the over/under technique.  The film has so little distortion when you look at it....

Prep is key with any install. Feel the backglass with your hand. If the defroster lines are raised, use 0000 steel wool to smooth the rough edges off the defroster lines. This way you don't spend so much time in the battle zone!

:quote

I was having that problem for a little while then i decided to wet check some. Really haven't had the problem since. It helps me to see everything lay completely flat on the outside. That should let you know if it's you or the glass. Combine that with some 0000 steel wool and you should be good to go. Doesn't hurt if you can also let the car sit in the sun for an hour or so before leaving, if possible.

I gotta admit. I won't do a backglass without 0000 steel wool. I only use the white scrubby to clean after I scrub good with steel wool. I wish I could find somewhere to buy it in bulk instead of those little packs from the hardware store.

0000 Steel wool is 100% necessary in my book. :twocents

I tinted a Corvette today and ended up with quite a few peanuts on the back glass. I got them out with a little drying time and heatgun.i dont know what year vette is was??? Around early 90's, the vette with the vertical rear defrosters.I tinted it with Johnsons Silhouette.

I gotta admit. I won't do a backglass without 0000 steel wool. I only use the white scrubby to clean after I scrub good with steel wool. I wish I could find somewhere to buy it in bulk instead of those little packs from the hardware store.

0000 Steel wool is 100% necessary in my book. :twocents

Have you checked with any of the auto detail supply companies? I get 000 steel wool like this from a local place called FADS that sells PRO pruducts that I believe is based out of California. add210ac57cd279c1337867fe8c8252e.jpg

Archived