Dealing with removing dry adhesive and then trying to put on 3M

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh oh :broken:facepalm2

http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html

I was made aware of the fallacy of the glass flows myth many years ago by the late great glass chemist, Nick Labino. Nick offered this simple analogy, "...if the windows found in early Colonial American homes were thicker at the bottom than the top because of "flow" then the glass found in Egyptian Tombs should be a puddle."

That last statement is actually absolutely true.  The reason they are not puddles per say, is because the temperature was not consistent enough to cause it.  

I have seen, in person, a piece of glass blown and put in a kiln.  It cracked in the kiln during the curing process.  The blower removed it from the kiln, heated it again to the proper temp and added a different piece of glass to the sculpture.  

So my theory is that if the temp on the glass was consistent and not changing(allowing the glass to cool and slow down the particles) then yes the older windows would be a puddle of glass instead of a sheet.    

This is a shot of the edge of my peel board. You can clearly see where the metal used to be around the edge with set screws in it. These screws changed the glass over time, putting indintions in it and changed the edge. It's clearly not straight anymore. The metal frame wasn't installed with glass still hot. So explain this one.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Bham, I could be wrong on this.....But my understanding is that the divots and molded look to the edge is from a hanging rack during the tempering process. This is in contrast to the "roller" conveyor system that is more typical. Since in the tempering process the glass is rolled through an oven or kiln, the glass is prone to remolding when pressure is applied during its time in the oven. That's why glass that comes out of the roller process looks so wavy when light it reflected off them. I'll bet you'd find much less wave from glass that is tempered using hanging racks. 

Again this is just what I've gathered from the glass folks I've worked with, I don't really have any sources for this info. :dunno

That is good info right there Eastwood.. thanks  :thumb  Never thought about how the sheet of glass might be going through a kiln big enough to handle the piece.  :chin  Interesting  

I have seen other pieces of the exact same build and size that were perfect on all sides.  One would assume that this is because the piece used to be bigger and was cut and sanded on all sides after it comes out of the kiln.  

My assumption with my peel board was that since the all the other sides are straight, and when I removed the metal from the dimpled side (which appeared to be the top of the door) that the "flow" theory might true.  I don't know either, but it's fun to make my head hurt about it.  :hmmm

The composition of materials to make said glass, is also another reason this is so hard to try and figure out.  

Glass is made from many different compositions of materials.  Silicon dioxide(sand) being the most popular.  But, other materials are added or removed from these compositions to make it easier to work with.  Raising and lowering the melting and curing temperature of the material being made. 

Lead, quartz, ceramic, porcelain, polymers and plastics from all different composition in themselves, being added to make these pieces, makes it darn near impossible to know exactly what your are dealing with.  

Like Fox said......  glass is magic and will do what it want's to do  :krazy   

One would assume that this is because the piece used to be bigger and was cut and sanded on all sides after it comes out of the kiln.  

If that were the case then the marks would have come from the float process since tempered glass cannot be cut. This is also very likely IMO and edges with those marks just indicate that was the handling edge of a factory annealed sheet. :dunno when I get some time I'll do some digging, got my interest peaked now. :thumb

Archived