Dealing with removing dry adhesive and then trying to put on 3M

Been doing this for 20 years and only had to deal with this problem only a couple of times. I guess theres a bonding issue that fills in the pores of the glass and does not let the slip solutions work. The slip just runs off the glass and its like trying to put the film on dry ! Film Off or Dirt Off is the only thing I guess that works . Anyone ever had to deal with this problem ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen other posts about that... and I've noticed a distinct difference in being able to move around a piece of film on a window that I just removed old film from. 

So I think there is some validity to the whole 'pore' theory. 

When that happens I use more soap in my solution. 

I would have to somewhat agree with your theory 6figure.  Glass responds to temperature whether we realize it or not.  Same reason a crack will walk across a piece when temps change.  Allowing the glass to acclimate to its new environment after removing the old film, could be a good thing. :thumb

Automotive tinters deal with a similar situation with chemicals such as Rain-x and Armour All.  These will soak into the glass if used repeatedly, and cause the same problems you are having with the glass resisting the slip solution.  

I have to throw in one of my favorite links from WearTheFoxhat...    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/uob-iga012115.php

Glass is such a cool element, compound, substance,,, whatever you want to call it.   It's pretty cool.  

I also love hearing from the guys who do remodels on old old houses with single pane windows still in them.  

If you can remove a pane from a 100 year old or better house, and put a micrometer on the top edge and then the bottom edge,, you should get 2 pretty different numbers.  Gravity will cause the glass to run(droop) over time...  very interesting.  

Uh oh :broken:facepalm2

http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html

I was made aware of the fallacy of the glass flows myth many years ago by the late great glass chemist, Nick Labino. Nick offered this simple analogy, "...if the windows found in early Colonial American homes were thicker at the bottom than the top because of "flow" then the glass found in Egyptian Tombs should be a puddle."

This is a shot of the edge of my peel board. You can clearly see where the metal used to be around the edge with set screws in it. These screws changed the glass over time, putting indintions in it and changed the edge. It's clearly not straight anymore. The metal frame wasn't installed with glass still hot. So explain this one.

post-28358-0-41437100-1443021597_thumb.j

Archived