6' high band of Dusted Crystal

Wonder how others would do this.  Need to install a good amount of 72" high band of 3M Dusted Crystal film bands.  Fast and easy if this film came in a 72" size - which it doesn't.  Pretty fast and easy if the glass was butt jointed and could move a metal straight edge across the glass and cut the film straight, stopping the cut at each joint to move the metal straight edge down to the next panel.

This glass is in frames and is different widths.  So cutting in place means having to start a cut with the metal straight edge at one end of a glass panel, then move the metal straight edge down to the end of the glass - and it's easy to get a noticeable notch at the point where you stop and then start the cut again and not look perfectly straight.

Anyone have good ideas?

You did not say so I'm assuming all your glass widths are under either the 48" or 60" limitation of DC.

Get your spec'd height off the floor in the center of an elevation. Then take the measurement down from the top of the window frame. Use that measurement when you set up your "cheat " mark on the glass.

You say you are using a metal straight edge. Are you kidding?

Ever heard of a level?

They come in various lengths. Good ones have a bubble vial for the horizontal and vertical axes. Many have one for 45° as well.This will assist you in keeping your cuts well ah ....level.

You would have to install your own glass magnets to ensure the level stays where you tell it when doing your cuts.

If you are creating steps in your cuts then you need to work on your  attention to detail.

Axes, pronounced AX-eez.

Axes is the only word in English that can be the plural of three different singular noun forms--ax, axe, and axis.

"Glass Magnets"?? Device or substance stuck on your level to keep that $4iT from sliding on you.

Thanks, guys.  They are all under 46" wide so would use 48" wide material.

Tom - FH is one way of doing it.

WearTheFox - Use a level all the time to, well, mark level.  But don't like to use that surface to cut across.  Rather cut across a metal straight edge.  Will throw a level on top of the straight edge first to level it before cutting.

Is your method to cut down each piece after it's been installed?  Had thought of aligning upper and lower pieces of masking tape on a glass panel with a measured 72" height between them and first cutting swatches of film down while liner is still on them - and then installing each with them already set to the 72" band height.

Thanks, guys.  They are all under 46" wide so would use 48" wide material.

Tom - FH is one way of doing it.

WearTheFox - Use a level all the time to, well, mark level.  But don't like to use that surface to cut across.  Rather cut across a metal straight edge.  Will throw a level on top of the straight edge first to level it before cutting.

Is your method to cut down each piece after it's been installed?  Had thought of aligning upper and lower pieces of masking tape on a glass panel with a measured 72" height between them and first cutting swatches of film down while liner is still on them - and then installing each with them already set to the 72" band height.

......It sounds like you are making this harder than it has to be. IMO, a FH is the fastest easiest solution. If that's not a option, have a sign shop run your pieces through a plotter ( if you don't have your own ) all this timing with straight edges and levels is ridiculous.

Are you going to install the film 72" from the sill up...............?

You are saying "  Need to install a good amount of 72" high band of 3M Dusted Crystal film bands.  "  when I hear band I am thinking not from the sill up but rather clear glass top and bottom.

You are saying "  Need to install a good amount of 72" high band of 3M Dusted Crystal film bands.  "  when I hear band I am thinking not from the sill up but rather clear glass top and bottom.

Mike - When I think of band I also think it's not from the sill up.  Bottom of this film at 2' AFF, top at 8'

Mike - When I think of band I also think it's not from the sill up.  Bottom of this film at 2' AFF, top at 8'

I would leave the film at its 48 1/2" width and cut it using the film handler exact at the 72" length, make sure the ruler for measuring the length is dead on, I have seen them off by up to 1/8".

Like Tom had said, get a laser and also pick up an adjustable pole for mounting it to.

513.jpg

514.jpg

521.jpg

515.jpg

Archived