Last One To Post Wins Game #547

Hopefully by spring I'll be ready to venture off on my own again. I don't mind working for a shop, just haven't had any good luck in the last two full time ones I've tried. I really screwed myself going to work for that one jack azz up the road this summer and that left me in a bad spot I'm still trying to recover from. I really wish I could get these promises in writing from them, would save me a headache when it's done.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had my eye on this one location for over a year now, rent runs 1200 a month, only problem is it's pretty close to the one I work one day a week for, so I can't do that one as that company has treated me great and I could never move in their back yard. But I'm keeping my eyes open. Would be nice to find a spot with an apartment over the top, could kill two birds with one stone with that.

Hopefully by spring I'll be ready to venture off on my own again. I don't mind working for a shop, just haven't had any good luck in the last two full time ones I've tried. I really screwed myself going to work for that one jack azz up the road this summer and that left me in a bad spot I'm still trying to recover from. I really wish I could get these promises in writing from them, would save me a headache when it's done.

The problem is they need to treat the tinter like part of the team even if they do not fully work at the shop.  It is mutually beneficial if everyone is happy.  Better partnership equals better profits for everyone.

The problem is they need to treat the tinter like part of the team even if they do not fully work at the shop. It is mutually beneficial if everyone is happy. Better partnership equals better profits for everyone.

That's true, but unfortunately most out there see tinters as easily replaced. The claim to want quality and what not but in the end it's all about the volume. I took this job expecting it to be more of a quality driven shop but it quickly turned into a volume thing. I was criticized for not double cutting and was told that my rear window takes to long to install and I needed to shorten it up because the volume don't allow me to take 30 minutes on a rear screen. So now I just do rear windows and every now and then I'll cut the sides and not lay them. They pull sweeps on everything, heck I'm the only one that uses a heat gun.

The problem is they need to treat the tinter like part of the team even if they do not fully work at the shop. It is mutually beneficial if everyone is happy. Better partnership equals better profits for everyone.

That's true, but unfortunately most out there see tinters as easily replaced. The claim to want quality and what not but in the end it's all about the volume. I took this job expecting it to be more of a quality driven shop but it quickly turned into a volume thing. I was criticized for not double cutting and was told that my rear window takes to long to install and I needed to shorten it up because the volume don't allow me to take 30 minutes on a rear screen. So now I just do rear windows and every now and then I'll cut the sides and not lay them. They pull sweeps on everything, heck I'm the only one that uses a heat gun.

Yeah, I see that most shops are about volume and not quality.  I personally don't get it, I would much rather sell a higher quality film for a higher price and take time on it and end up with more money.  I would say our goal is 4 vehicles a day with a max being 5 unless several are just front doors.  

We do anywhere from 8 to 15 a day with three tinters, and we're all working on the same car mostly. I do rear windows while another is cutting patterns and the other is pulling sweeps and scraping as he goes. Today we did 16 with 3 of those being two fronts and one with a visor

Archived