Last One To Post Wins Game #547

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoy working out of my house. It's perfect for me. I know there's a lot of cases where it would be more ideal having a shop and waiting room. Hey maybe one day. For me now though it's perfect.

Sometimes it is the best setup.  There is a mechanic "shop" in GA that was pretty popular and worked out of his garage.  He did engine builds, turbos, etc all from his house.  After years finally got a nice shop and closed it after 8 months.  He got tired of the up and down business and having to pay all the shop bills.  So he ended up going back to the garage.

I tried the mobile thing out here and it didn't go so well. We have shops here doing full jobs for $120 claiming to use the best film and I had those calls from people wanting me to match or beat that price and I tell them to go pound sand. I refuse to whore myself out like that. I had a dealer account when I first went on my own just to get my name out and ended up letting them go. They wanted me to match the last price they were getting from the other guy, all of the dealership employees were getting their cars done under the dealer price and they wanted me to drop what I was doing whenever they called whether it was one car or one window. The $120 did it for me though, no way I'm doing it for that. Don't care what film I'm using

Yeah, I feel you. Are you full time at shops or do you have time on the side?

Well right now I'm full time at one, and I work another one day a week. Sad thing is the one I work one day a week pays me better than the one I work 4 days out the week.

Gotcha, there is a guy here in GA that works for 3 audio shops...not sure how it is, but it seems fine for him.  I was thinking while you have time away from those shops you do your own work on the side and over time build up your name/reputation so eventually you can quit the other shops or atleast only work at the higher paying shop.

Just as long as your putting out quality work I don't see a whole lot wrong with it. There's gonna be a few that don't want to do it Just because they may feel weird about the situation. It's not enough for me though to justify. In the end it still would be nice. However the guy that I would say is most profitable with it in my town has been doing it out of a little barn his parents have for 15 or 20 years I believe. That is a lot of years of not paying rent.

This year I'm going to try and link up with another shop. Like a body shop or tire shop to get me going. I have clientele, just don't have a place to do it locally. I know if I get a location I'll be alright, he'll there's a guy out here that's been in 5 different locations in a year and he stays busy, he also does those $120 sun control jobs but he stays busy

Just as long as your putting out quality work I don't see a whole lot wrong with it. There's gonna be a few that don't want to do it Just because they may feel weird about the situation. It's not enough for me though to justify. In the end it still would be nice. However the guy that I would say is most profitable with it in my town has been doing it out of a little barn his parents have for 15 or 20 years I believe. That is a lot of years of not paying rent.

Yep, say $800 a month which is on the low end (you don't even want to know mine) throughout 15 years is $115,200 extra saved.

I you gotta - sale - organize - tint - sale - and sale to stay in business :twocents

That's true, I can sale water to a dead fish. I can tint any vehicle and I do flat glass. I'm certified in 12volt and have numerous contacts and vendors for auto accessories. I'm pretty good with quick books and most accounting software and proficient in word, excel and PowerPoint. I designed my own website twice just for kicks, so it shouldn't be hard. I think the hardest part is finding financing to really do it.

If I had a house with a garage, I wouldn't be working at a shop. I'm so tired of the bs that comes with it. I hate it when I have nothing to do or minimal work as I don't get paid to sit around. I hate the "buddy" deals and friends and family discounts as I always get screwed on those. I've had managers and shop owners refuse to pay over 30% because they think it's too much. I'm at the point to where I'm ready to give it up and do something different. I can do plenty other things to make a living without the stress.

I've seen where guys rent a large self storage unit and work out of it

Archived