Dealing with debris

So yesterday I was wrapping the spoiler on my camaro (in my living room due to bad weather) I had the spoiler on a tabletop, on bags no less, and kept the vinyl clear of my floor. I wiped the spoiler with rubbing alcohol and it was clean as a whistle.

Yet, as I started to wrap, I noticed almost immediately that foreign material made its way underneath the vinyl and was now causing bubbles.

How do you guys stop debris from getting in? Did I miss a step somewhere?

This would actually be a good topic in possibly an area that would get more exposure as stopping debris is a battle for everyone on this forum not just vehicle wraps. It is a bit harder with wraps though you cant get a slip solution onto it to take away static.

What we do to minimise is:

Start with the environment - As a self funded business our environment has gotten better over the years to the point the walls and roof aren't a dust trap anymore, the floor has ben repainted to ensure dirt and dust don't stick there either. Its not perfect yet, but the more you can do to minimise the better.

Clean clean clean - We blower vac the workshop before we lay each new piece of vinyl/panel. You would be surprised at what does build up in between with movement, opening closing doors, moving tools falling off clothes etc. This is prob a bit easier because our workshop is quite small and would be harder in a big place.

Technique - The further away you take the backing paper off from the panel the more chance you have of something sticking to it before its layed. Get as close as you can and where possible peel the backing paper off on the panel by hinging. Also the less you have to readjust the vinyl the less chance things can get under, so make every lift and readjust count.

There is only so much you can do - at the end of the day we cant install in scientific booths, things will fall off what your wearing, Your body will decide to drop a hair in an annoying spot. If you have ever cleaned a black roof under a bright fluorescent you will see that almost as quick as you wipe fine bits of dust appear, these inevitably don't show up under a wrap but goes to show how hard it is.

With vinyl I find you can crush bits of dirt with the corner of the squeegee so they aren't as big which makes them not as noticeable under a wrap. There could be a slim chance its with the vinyl also. We recently used Satin black that had what looked like goosebumps in certain areas.

Yea not a lot you can do in a regular garage but I agree, when I was doing the sides of my car by myself I stuck the vinyl over the top of the doors and pulled the backing away as close to the car as possible while keeping straight pressure downward and this elimated almost all of the dust/dirt that was floating around from getting trapped behind the vinyl.

However the very bottom of my rear hatch has some Braille going on due to a sudden gust of wind blowing crap under the vinyl as I was just finishing up pulling and laying it down... No one notices it unless I point it out.

By the way I accidentally swiped the side of my garage with my right rear quarter panel as I was pulling in and had some serious white paint transfer that almost all came off with rubbing alcohol and a heat gun... Not at the same time! :) I still can't believe that the Avery vinyl didn't peel off instead of the house paint transferring onto it.

This would actually be a good topic in possibly an area that would get more exposure as stopping debris is a battle for everyone on this forum not just vehicle wraps. It is a bit harder with wraps though you cant get a slip solution onto it to take away static.

Start with the environment - As a self funded business our environment has gotten better over the years to the point the walls and roof aren't a dust trap anymore, the floor has ben repainted to ensure dirt and dust don't stick there either. Its not perfect yet, but the more you can do to minimise the better.

Clean clean clean - We blower vac the workshop before we lay each new piece of vinyl/panel. You would be surprised at what does build up in between with movement, opening closing doors, moving tools falling off clothes etc. This is prob a bit easier because our workshop is quite small and would be harder in a big place.

Technique - The further away you take the backing paper off from the panel the more chance you have of something sticking to it before its layed. Get as close as you can and where possible peel the backing paper off on the panel by hinging. Also the less you have to readjust the vinyl the less chance things can get under, so make every lift and readjust count.

There is only so much you can do - at the end of the day we cant install in scientific booths, things will fall off what your wearing, Your body will decide to drop a hair in an annoying spot. If you have ever cleaned a black roof under a bright fluorescent you will see that almost as quick as you wipe fine bits of dust appear, these inevitably don't show up under a wrap but goes to show how hard it is.

With vinyl I find you can crush bits of dirt with the corner of the squeegee so they aren't as big which makes them not as noticeable under a wrap. There could be a slim chance its with the vinyl also. We recently used Satin black that had what looked like goosebumps in certain areas.

:yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah :yeah

also the clothes that you wear. 

Just a tip on actual car (not that it helps here) but...putting the backing paper on the floor where you are working traps any floor debris. Under it while you are installing. I do a lot of fleet installs on site and those shops are not ones where you would even consider a 5 second rule when you drop your donut...just sayin

Just a tip on actual car (not that it helps here) but...putting the backing paper on the floor where you are working traps any floor debris. Under it while you are installing. I do a lot of fleet installs on site and those shops are not ones where you would even consider a 5 second rule when you drop your donut...just sayin

that can get pretty slippery as well. 

Archived