Last One To Post Wins Game #560

What I did tonight was run a Sharpie along the top instead of trying to cut it. Of course then you free hand it. I've never had it come out right though trying to just cut across the top. I thought I had a great idea between a couple methods and it may still work but I'm going to have to tweek it some.

I once ran some pinstripe to give me a guide on where to cut. Easily allow the blade to follow the edge of the vinyl and there you have it.

Just don't cut on the windshield, once you have the stripe where you want it and the borders cut,transfer the film to your peal board and cut the arch.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best one I've ever used was an eight foot piece of aluminum straight edge (cut to about seven feet) that came from a carpet install supply, with a chain and hooks.

It was a 2 person thing to get it set and it took a seven foot table to lay it on,, but the cut came out perfect.

That's what I've been thinking of. Just need a table with something that you can make a curve with. Or just buy a plotter.

Bham - correct.

My sister had a bulldog a bunch of years ago. Watts... He was really cool. :)

In my kitchen I have those 4 foot long tube bulbs.. Two of them in the fixture. I've never changed them... and I've been here 4+ yrs.. they need to be replaced.

Is there any easy way to convery something like that to LEDs or something newer? 

I don't want to put too much money in to it... and I'm not sure my landlord would want to either. I don't have any problems getting new bulbs (I assume they still make them) but I just figured I would at least see if there are any upgrade options. 

Anyone know??

I have the 8ft version in my bay and I was told all you have to do is get an LED bulb that is for that fixture and UNWIRE(remove) the ballast.  It's supposed to be super easy if you can do a little wiring without getting shocked.  I haven't personally done it  :dunno   But I am considering it.  

The best one I've ever used was an eight foot piece of aluminum straight edge (cut to about seven feet) that came from a carpet install supply, with a chain and hooks.

It was a 2 person thing to get it set and it took a seven foot table to lay it on,, but the cut came out perfect.

That's what I've been thinking of. Just need a table with something that you can make a curve with. Or just buy a plotter.

The aluminum has a hole in each end.  The chain is connected on both end and you use some hooks to hold the curve you want.  It is adjustable by how much bend you put in the straight edge, so that you can match the curve of different windshield/roof lines.   Once you have the curve you want locked in, move to a cutting table and cut it.   :thumb

Isn't there a search button? I remember another member once posting some photos of a jig he used by mounting a straight edge and using spray paint caps to bow the edge to curve as much or as little as needed. Just can't remember his name right now though. Lol

Isn't there a search button? I remember another member once posting some photos of a jig he used by mounting a straight edge and using spray paint caps to bow the edge to curve as much or as little as needed. Just can't remember his name right now though. Lol

That's coast to coast and yes I have that jig and once again I use the search button.

:idea    Place tint strip on car longer than 6" across the windshield.  Draw pattern as if you were cutting for the actual strip and mark your six inch marks on the sides and one in the center(for reference).  Move piece to cutting table and use the tool and the pattern you just drew to match the curve, move the tool down to your six inch marks(check center mark for reference).   Cut your curve.   

Does this sound like it might work to be able to get the pattern for the different curves??  

Archived