This was a conversation in the tint section. This is Smartys reply about using dish detergent ..Was wondering what peoples thoughts are to the PPF adhesive?

Glycerin is similar to silicone only through its ability to 'also' inhibit (or interfere with) long term bonding on adhesives used in window films. Not in the same ways, though. Glycerin does it through its ability to attract moisture, so residuals of glycerin trapped under the film will continue to attract moisture (through the film to the adhesive) with a resulting affect being a more most adhesive environment. Much the same as high humidity's affect on film adhesive's longevity. The higher the glycerin content in a slip agent, the greater residuals remaining once all installation solution has dried out. Couple the two, high humidity and glycerin residuals, and you have premature adhesive failure. It's a wonder film can last any length in places like Florida or Hawaii when Dawn dish soap is used.

Different adhesive chemistry/structure used for PPF. Don't believe one can compare film adhesive to PPF adhesive in an apples to apples way.

I honestly don't know much about the adhesive that is on PPF. Maybe one of the many's can chime in on this and give us some education. Jeff or Brett maybe.This is the part that got me thinking. Glycerin does it through its ability to attract moisture, so residuals of glycerin trapped under the film will continue to attract moisture (through the film to the adhesive)  Not sure that PPF will "breathe" like window film does to cause this effect? Many people are moving toward Dawn and away from JJ in PPF installs. As have I.It has even been suggested by some manufactures to do so.

Archived