Recently we've been getting requests for graphics in clear window film. We've done quit a bit of custom frost hand and plotter cut and want to move into a more artistic direction. Is there a go to clear film, that is printable available in complete rolls? What do you more seasoned graphic guys use? Johnson's has a new clear film which they market as printable. But I can't get any feedback so far. Waiting on our first sample roll...

Give Richard at Solar Control films in Saint Louis a call. He has a beautiful sign above his entry door that is printed on clear with a silver background. Pretty sure he carries the product you need, knows the process. I'm with you, bout ready to jump into this aspect of our business :twocents

When we got our printer for wrapping I was surprised ..... We sell as many signs as wraps!

Custom prints have. Become a huge part of our business. We just purchased a 200k machine to bring it in house. There are numerous moving parts in printing on PET. Not all inks and not all acrylic hard coats will accept each other.

3M has multiple variations of digitally printable clear films and over-laminates for various uses.

until it becomes cost effective to go with electronic screens hooked up to the interwebs digital print on clear will be around for some time.

WHEN you get into it there is a leaning curve to dealing with print on clear to get the desired results for custy

Talked to Richard at Solar Control and waiting for all the info, thanks for that. There is a local sign shop that prints on a 3M clear vinyl with good results,but I'm looking for an alternative that I can buy in bulk cheaper than 3M and get a sign shop to just print. As far as printer or ink limitations, what's your experience? Is vinyl a better bet? Price and printable wise?

The vinyl is not 100% optically clear where the PET is. The PET is also far more durable than vinyl. However, it is possible to use solvent or latex to print on vinyl.. Not so much with PET.

Do a lot of digging and go see examples of different films on glass when possible.

You may need to manage expectations.

As Tom said the material used can influence the clarity.

All printable films are easier to damage than glass so a few years in you may get calls to come and replace a panel here and there.

So what PET have you found with the best results?

We are having one made for us. The current preferred method for printing on PET us UV printing. Problems occur with flexible ink that is LED cured, not adhering to SR coatings. Then there is the UV with mercury cured ink that is more rigid and bonds slightly better than the LED cured, but it will crack if the film is kinked in any way. That said, the machine and which print heads are used play a huge roll in the final product.

Archived