IR film Vs Ceramic?

Is there a difference between a "IR film" and a "True Ceramic film" and which do you prefer and why?

Strictly speaking, IR films includes TiN Ceramics, Carbon, ITO and ATO films.

Technologically, they are usually less reflective and offer better heat reduction than HP-type of autotints.

Most importantly, they will not interfere with GPS or radio signals unless metals are added.

Some hybrid products in the market uses ITO, TiN with some sputtered silver.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortunately i plan on going to ASWF  when i go to Sema this year to get a better idea of how film is manufactured in Vegas. Thanks for any info. 

I give credits to ASWF for organizing free tours during SEMA Shows in the past years. However, you will not really see how film is made in the laminating machine because that portion is usually enclosed in most manufacturers.

Visitors will see the rolling and rewinding from beginning to end because they are proud of their integrated laminating line (possibility one of the most expensive laminating line in US).

IR is already accounted for in TSER in all window films.  A lot of new window films (usually cheaper quality) are starting to market IR separate which in the end it is more of a gimmick than anything.  Most of these films are from China or Korea.

Yes, IR is part ot the spectrophotometer wavelength.

Consumers should compare SC, SHGC or TSER for products of similar VLT

For example one of the reps for Wincos kept calling it IR film when I would say ceramic. That made me think maybe there is a difference because every time I say ceramic he says IR.

Wincos is a very good automotive film, one of the best in our industry.

Wincos as an IR autotint offers better heat reduction than most TiN, ATO and ITO films of similar VLTs.

I.R. numbers are the new gimmick thing that film companies are using to sound better.   All these high IR numbers but there TSER is still the same as everyone else.   :facepalm2   Don't fall for it.   :fishing

Also, there is no certified way or accepted method of testing IR rejection.  It is barely an accepted statistic   :twocents

Yes, IR can be misleading.

Eg. Carbon XP offers good IR reading on EDTM IR meter but you will feel more heat on your skin under a heat lamp, than most cheap IR films from Asia.

Thanks for the reply Bham. You have any idea why the Wincos 70 blocks almost the same heat on my box as my FXtreme? I know dynamicappearance says it's not ceramic so what in it makes it blocks as much heat as my Ceramic?

It doesn't have to be a Ceramic to block heat.  For example, Huper Optik Performa is a Spectral Filtering Technology film that outperforms Llumar CTX Ceramic at several VLT's.  3M Crystalline outperforms all of the Ceramics and it is a Multi-Layer Optical Technology film.  It is just the technology they use in Wincos which is not specifically stated on their website.  I checked Lintec's website (maker of Wincos from Japan), they do not specifically state a technology either.

Multi-layer OT Films provides excellent heat reduction in most temperatures. However, scientifically, MLOT Films offer weak heat reduction in summer afternoons.

All manufacturers of MLOT will add either TiN, ATO, ITO,  ceramics or other heat reducing chemicals to MLOT to produce a perfect product that works in all season. 

Yeah one of the guys I know down here has Raynos carbon ceramic and said he's already getting film fading out after a year.

Thanks for the reply Bham. You have any idea why the Wincos 70 blocks almost the same heat on my box as my FXtreme? I know dynamicappearance says it's not ceramic so what in it makes it blocks as much heat as my Ceramic?

This sounds like the same hoo-hah Rayno is spitting out to everyone.  They claim to have found a way to make shaded -- non laminated-- window film with no dyes or metals.   :hmmm     :blah

Rayno's sales crashed in Korea this year. They have to develop new market like China.

How are they doing in US this year?

Thanks for the info fat cat.  what is  ITO and ATO.

ITO refers to Indium Tin Oxide

ATO refers to Antimony Tin Oxide

TiN refers to Titanium Nitride

Here's the science:

Given the same heat reduction, ITO will offer the highest VLT.

Given the same heat reduction, ATO is the cheapest technolog. ITO and TiN are more expensive.

Well i guess i will atleast get to see one of the best laminating line. Any idea of any other manufacturers that show more of the process?

You should go take a look.

The hidden part is the secret chamber, that I doubt any manufacturer will share. Maybe Smarties can share more.

Archived