IR film Vs Ceramic?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What technology do you prefer to go with?

Thanks for the reply Bham. You have any idea why the Wincos 70 blocks almost the same heat on my box as my FXtreme? I know dynamicappearance says it's not ceramic so what in it makes it blocks as much heat as my Ceramic?

It doesn't have to be a Ceramic to block heat.  For example, Huper Optik Performa is a Spectral Filtering Technology film that outperforms Llumar CTX Ceramic at several VLT's.  3M Crystalline outperforms all of the Ceramics and it is a Multi-Layer Optical Technology film.  It is just the technology they use in Wincos which is not specifically stated on their website.  I checked Lintec's website (maker of Wincos from Japan), they do not specifically state a technology either.

Yeah one of the guys I know down here has Raynos carbon ceramic and said he's already getting film fading out after a year.

Thanks for the reply Bham. You have any idea why the Wincos 70 blocks almost the same heat on my box as my FXtreme? I know dynamicappearance says it's not ceramic so what in it makes it blocks as much heat as my Ceramic?

This sounds like the same hoo-hah Rayno is spitting out to everyone.  They claim to have found a way to make shaded -- non laminated-- window film with no dyes or metals.  :hmmm    :blah

What technology do you prefer to go with?

It doesn't have to be a Ceramic to block heat.  For example, Huper Optik Performa is a Spectral Filtering Technology film that outperforms Llumar CTX Ceramic at several VLT's.  3M Crystalline outperforms all of the Ceramics and it is a Multi-Layer Optical Technology film.  It is just the technology they use in Wincos which is not specifically stated on their website.  I checked Lintec's website (maker of Wincos from Japan), they do not specifically state a technology either.

IMO there is no best technology.  You have to look at the individual window film and balance everything it has to offer...UV, TSER, Glare, Appearance, Installation, Price, etc.  In my lineup, I have 3 favorites all for different reasons.  Llumar CTX Ceramic...easy installation, great performance, all around great day-to-day film to use.  3M CS Carbon...best looking film and appears darker than other films at the same VLT.  3M Crystalline...extreme performance, good coloring at darker shades, easy upsell.

I have a 70 Wincos and 35% FXtreme the I compare.

What percentage fxextreme are you comparing it to?

Hello Barrerasr81,

If you are using a heat lamp to compare the performance of ceramic vs. ceramic or ceramic vs IR coated films, you shouldn't use this as a basis for which film is best. IR bulbs only put out a limited range of IR radiation. So, take for example the Wincos 70% vs the FXtreme2 35%. The Wincos has an IR% of 89% and the SolarFX 35 has 76%. Since you are using an IR bulb to test heat rejection, the 89% is going to feel cooler than the 76% because you are only using IR radiation in your testing. The SolarFX 70% specs more closely to the Wincos 70%. The SolarFX 70% has an IR% of 88% and a TSER of 49%.

Now let's look at TSER. TSER is a measurement that calculates the amount of Total Solar Energy Rejected which is comprised of UV, Visible Light, and Infrared. TSER factors in the blocking of all the UV, Visible Light, and IR. The Wincos 70% has a TSER of 45% and the SolarFX TSER is 56%. Now, on glass, in a car, in the sun, in a real world application, the SolarFX 35% has the greater TSER. (BTW, I think the Wincos film is a good film)

It is of my opinion that the highest quality brands will always talk about TSER (since this is the universal standard in the industry for heat rejection). If a company only wants to talk to you about how high their IR rejection is, you may want to take a close look at their TSER. 

Hope that helps a little.

Shawn

I have a 70 Wincos and 35% FXtreme the I compare.

What percentage fxextreme are you comparing it to?

TSER factors in the blocking of all the UV, Visible Light, and IR. 

All the above factors are responsible for heat transfer through to the other side of glass.

On 8/12/2016 at 5:00 PM, Barrerasr81 said:

Makes sense shawn. Thanks for all the info. I'm happy with solarfx but always open to learning more. Now what about SHGC. What's the scoop with that?

SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient) is the amount of heat from visible, UV and IR light that will be found on the interior after passing through filmed glass  and is always the reciprocal of TSER.  You don't see it much in Automotive. It's a number used in Architectural films.

Archived