IR film Vs Ceramic?

So there are some pretty smart guys on here and I'm sure i can get a good explanation of the difference of the films. 

Is there a difference between a "IR film" and a "True Ceramic film" and which do you prefer and why? I get calls from film manufactures all the time and say there films are better to go with because of whatever reason. I unfortunately haven't been to anyone's manufacturing companies to see the process. Fortunately i plan on going to ASWF  when i go to Sema this year to get a better idea of how film is manufactured in Vegas. Thanks for any info. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IR is already accounted for in TSER in all window films.  A lot of new window films (usually cheaper quality) are starting to market IR separate which in the end it is more of a gimmick than anything.  Most of these films are from China or Korea.  Showing that you are interested in ASWF proves you have done little to no research.  FYI, quality window films don't go around calling shops trying to sell film.

I have no interest in aswf. I said I would like to see how film is made and that sense I'm going to sema and they have a manufacturer there I would like to take a walk through there facility and get a better understanding of how it's made. For example one of the reps for Wincos kept calling it IR film when I would say ceramic. That made me think maybe there is a difference because every time I say ceramic he says IR. I'm not sure what you consider "quality" window films but I've got calls from llumar, Madico, Express, Suntech, and many more off brands.

I have no interest in aswf. I said I would like to see how film is made and that sense I'm going to sema and they have a manufacturer there I would like to take a walk through there facility and get a better understanding of how it's made. For example one of the reps for Wincos kept calling it IR film when I would say ceramic. That made me think maybe there is a difference because every time I say ceramic he says IR. I'm not sure what you consider "quality" window films but I've got calls from llumar, Madico, Express, Suntech, and many more off brands.

I doubt you got calls from Llumar and FYI, it is Suntek not Suntech and Madico Wincos is not a Ceramic which is why he kept correcting you.

That's fine, my feelings didn't get hurt. I guess that's a good thing that I actually got a call huh. But your right it is suntek, sorry for the auto correct. FYI that is why I posted this, not to argue about how you spell Suntek. I wanted to get a better understanding by some fellow tinters that are willing to share some information on what are the differences if any. But thanks for your reply. It blocks almost as much heat as my ceramic so I figured maybe it was.

I.R. numbers are the new gimmick thing that film companies are using to sound better.   All these high IR numbers but there TSER is still the same as everyone else.   :facepalm2   Don't fall for it.   :fishing

Also, there is no certified way or accepted method of testing IR rejection.  It is barely an accepted statistic   :twocents

Thanks for the reply Bham. You have any idea why the Wincos 70 blocks almost the same heat on my box as my FXtreme? I know dynamicappearance says it's not ceramic so what in it makes it blocks as much heat as my Ceramic?

It doesn't have to be a Ceramic to block heat.  For example, Huper Optik Performa is a Spectral Filtering Technology film that outperforms Llumar CTX Ceramic at several VLT's.  3M Crystalline outperforms all of the Ceramics and it is a Multi-Layer Optical Technology film.  It is just the technology they use in Wincos which is not specifically stated on their website.  I checked Lintec's website (maker of Wincos from Japan), they do not specifically state a technology either.

Thanks for the reply Bham. You have any idea why the Wincos 70 blocks almost the same heat on my box as my FXtreme? I know dynamicappearance says it's not ceramic so what in it makes it blocks as much heat as my Ceramic?

This sounds like the same hoo-hah Rayno is spitting out to everyone.  They claim to have found a way to make shaded -- non laminated-- window film with no dyes or metals.  :hmmm    :blah 

Archived