Vinyl wrap question

This is a bit of an odd one, but I'm hoping someone here with vinyl wrapping experience can help.

I am in the process of wrapping a PC case, and am having serious trouble figuring out how to wrap over and cut out for a small 1cm diameter hole. It's basically where a 3.5mm audio jack goes, but I cannot figure out how to do this and maintain a perfect circle where the vinyl wraps around the edge. I tried making cuts in a cross formation, but it ends up looking like a hexagon, not a perfect circle. Any tips on how I can achieve this. It is a very fiddly small shape. Thanks.

I do have a knife, but ideally I wanted it to wrap around the edges. I've done that with the other holes with the 3M primer on the rear side of the edge, and that works well. It's just the circles that are proving tricky and I wondered if there was a special technique for it. Thing is, it's not JUST the audio jack, the circle is a bit wider than that... pic below to illustrate the problem... the edge of the circle is just not right and the vinyl is crinkling up. Doesn't look good.

holes.jpg

Edited by JohnnyFive

you could increase your cuts inside the circle so instead of a cross make *

Actually that's what I did, as I realised 4 segments wasn't going to wrap around correctly. I was wondering if a bit of heat from a hair dryer would help... I've done that before with corners, but this is such a small fiddly bit I don't know if it would just all pucker up.

Wrap over the hole, use heat and a glove or squeegee to form around the jack. Wait for it to cool,anap a fresh blade and cut around the jack. Same way we do rivets or cut outs for parking sensors.

Great thanks, I will give that a try. :) I have a few scrap bits I can practice with first. So would I cut the cross pattern still then?

Edited by JohnnyFive

Wrap over the hole, use heat and a glove or squeegee to form around the jack. Wait for it to cool,anap a fresh blade and cut around the jack. Same way we do rivets or cut outs for parking sensors.

Great thanks, I will give that a try. :) I have a few scrap bits I can practice with first. So would I cut the cross pattern still then?

I'd form it with heat as much as possible, take a blade and use the rim of the jack as a guide. Cut at an angle so you get most coverage