Horizontal Tunnels

Had a large commercial job recently so i cut the windows 36hrs prior to installation date. I reverse rolled and upon installation, noticed small horizontal tunnels throughout the film. Will the lines dryout or has it become a remove and replace? Not my first rodeo but not sure since i've never experienced this. I tinted 3 windows and decided stop with the install. What y'all think?

Was this safety film? Safety films are more prone to doing this.

As to disappearing, I understand, they sometimes do go away, other times not. I believe others who have experienced tunneling need chime in on the disappear question.

I do know that with safety film it is best to reverse roll (liner in) in machine direction (roll length) and not much tighter than the core size it was on... most especially thicker than 4-mil. Actually, the best way is not to cut and store prior to installation.

Had a large commercial job recently so i cut the windows 36hrs prior to installation date. I reverse rolled and upon installation, noticed small horizontal tunnels throughout the film. Will the lines dryout or has it become a remove and replace? Not my first rodeo but not sure since i've never experienced this. I tinted 3 windows and decided stop with the install. What y'all think?

Was this safety film? Safety films are more prone to doing this.

As to disappearing, I understand, they sometimes do go away, other times not. I believe others who have experienced tunneling need chime in on the disappear question.

I do know that with safety film it is best to reverse roll (liner in) in machine direction (roll length) and not much tighter than the core size it was on... most especially thicker than 4-mil. Actually, the best way is not to cut and store prior to installation.

Not safety film. Suntek drmirrords7. Thanks smartie for your input

I have found if you tightened the roll and left it that long it will with certain temperatures do that usually not dry out. I usually tighten roll just before putting it on leave it looser if that's a word.

Thanks Steve

Silicone release liners are well known for tunnelling.

This is one reason why many installers prefer to cut onsite with a FilmHandler.

I try to only cut my film at the end of the day for the next day's install and even then I will roll loosely.

The tunnels usually leave permanent marks after drying and make the install a biatch as they keep sucking moisture and contamination in from the sides of the pane.

Bin it , cut again and give yourself an uppercut.

Well, went back and finished the job with new film I pre-cut the morning before install. The 3 panes did dry with no horizontal lines. I would have bet money they would have not. Yesterday, i decided to backroll 1 piece off the filmhandler and the liner started slipping. (horizontal fingers). Called manny and they said and I quote," We do not recommend backrolling the film ." Never had an issue before so I'm puzzled. Looking for any input you guys may have. Thanks. Oh yea, Bopp liners?

unless the tunneling is from OLD film you're always good.   tunneling after a few days is nothing.   as for backrolling the film......with llumar you have to precut and backroll a couple days early or the film rolls off the glass.    this coming from someone who loves the film.......

Archived