Tacking issues

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tiger Tint   :waving  

Roll Tide!  :poke 

:lol

Well I've tried cleaning with 409 and Windex also tried using a fine mist with no change. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!! So frustrated

If a razor blade can't be used.  0000 Steel Wool (four aught)  is safe for all glass.  Sometime three aught is necessary for tougher issues.  Still safe for glass.  

Using stuff like 409 and windex is going to make the film tack faster without correcting with more slip.  More slip is usually the answer for when the humidity and temps change in Alabama.  When you start having issues with it not curing in the winter, add a little alcohol to your slip solution.  This will evac the left over water quicker in the winter.  ( This is not a good idea in the summer because it make your current problem WORSE. ) 

Not sure if this helps at all. But will be happy to try and help more if you have more questions.   Good Luck.  :beer 

War Eagle all the way Bham! Lol

I have tried adding more slip but I still get the same outcome it just makes it harder to keep the fillm from moving when I squeegee it out. This would be manageable but I still get chunks of adhesive no matter how much slip I add. I've been tinting for over two years and never had this issue.

I have not tried alcohol. I thought about it but I didn't know if that would stain or damage fabric. I will give definitely give it a try tho

BTW I even tried scraping the Windows with Windex then scrub with 409, squeegee and wipe window dry then do final squeegee with tint slime before install

Okay.  :idea  Go back to the solution mix that you are used to using.  Watch the spray (like bman848 said) when it hits the inside of the glass for install.  This will tell you whether there is something on the glass(like an anti-fog, like SolartintWF said).  If you see that spray pattern being obscured, then you are probably gonna have an issue.  It's not your slip solution, it's the glass or what's on it. 

I'm also gonna take a guess here and say that this is happening MORE with laminated windows than with regular windows.  I have noticed this to be a problem with a lot of the newer laminated windows that we are seeing ( Dodge and Ford ) ,, so pay attention to that fact as well and see if that's what you notice.  

Your right it is substantially worse when the water beads up like that on the window. I did a 2017 Altima with little to no issues and then turned around the same day and did an 06 M35 which gave me lots of headache. Even the rear window gave me issues. I haven't noticed if it worse on laminated windows but I will start looking for that

Just did 2 doors on a Lexus SUV that the water was beading up pretty bad on - even after razor blading.  Which reminded me, I needed to finish my thought on this.   :heh

Okay.   :idea  Go back to the solution mix that you are used to using.  Watch the spray (like bman848 said) when it hits the inside of the glass for install.  This will tell you whether there is something on the glass(like an anti-fog, like SolartintWF said).  If you see that spray pattern being obscured, then you are probably gonna have an issue.  It's not your slip solution, it's the glass or what's on it. 

I'm also gonna take a guess here and say that this is happening MORE with laminated windows than with regular windows.  I have noticed this to be a problem with a lot of the newer laminated windows that we are seeing ( Dodge and Ford ) ,, so pay attention to that fact as well and see if that's what you notice.  

So now we know it's the glass or something on it........  I usually just make sure I'm using more than normal amounts of water(or slip) during my install.  AKA = spray the crap out of it.   I would also suggest keeping one particular bottle around that does have extra soap in it, so you can grab it and use it sparingly, just to make things slide a little better.   Same with a straight water/no soap bottle for slushing out slip solution.  

Again,, good luck to you.   :beer  And get ready for winter.   :cold   It's gonna be a weird one in Alabama,  I'm afraid.   :nervous

Okay I will keep messin with my slip solution. It's good to hear I'm not the only one that has this issue lol I've also been told to clean with steel wool because a razor blade won't do it. Thanks for all your help on this! Good luck to you too man thanks for the heads up

I tend to run a little slippery.  on cars with deep gaskets helps to slide it in and avoid creasing. after I tack a door, like to be able to slide it a little to find the shave door look.  I anchor with a blow torch on the inside as well as sealing it when done. have watched to many custys roll their windows down leaving the parking lot. I also snap the top so I don't have to tint past the sweep. got a vid if interested..

I tend to run a little slippery.  on cars with deep gaskets helps to slide it in and avoid creasing. after I tack a door, like to be able to slide it a little to find the shave door look.  I anchor with a blow torch on the inside as well as sealing it when done. have watched to many custys roll their windows down leaving the parking lot. I also snap the top so I don't have to tint past the sweep. got a vid if interested..

That would be sweet thank you!

Archived