Tacking issues

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snap on, matco and mac and I don't know how many others ive tried.   all last under a year.  I'm mobile and yes a little rough on them.  problem was the thermal regulators

weaking and pulsing giving inconsistent heat. I run them half to one inch off the film for speed.  hotspots or star burst in the film when the start to fail.  TS8000 with map gives wider shrink area and stable heat till it gets close to empty.  touch ups I use a single burner butane torch lighter or triple burner for larger spots.  pinpoint flame one inch 3 sec for glass or quick wave to shrink finger pop ups.  less chance of melting moldings and door panels compared to heatguns. 

Currently go thru a 200k mile grand marquis for a third time because of the tackiness of the back window and contamination occurring as a result of no slip. Going to throw acid, degreaser, and hopefully a wax stripper, if I still have some, to remove whatever is causing the window to bead. Will repost if I find anything that works.

Bringing this back up after something I just noticed.  

I just did a redo on a new Ford Explorer with laminated front doors.  

The Global QDP has been on there for a week at least and when I pulled it off it came off with no glue. :gasp 

Now QDP usually cures pretty quick and on regular windows it usually always leaves a decent amount of glue.  

My concern is the surface of these laminated windows.  If you do enough of them you will notice the surface tension is different than regular door windows.  You will also notice the way the water beads, as mentioned earlier in this thread.  So is the surface also messing with the adhesion. :chin  

Seems like this might be something to keep an eye on, and see if we start getting failures in the near future.   :twocents 

Archived