Safety film for Automotive

I've installed Llumar 4mil on about a dozen vehicles. I used a plotter, and it was mostly fine. Make sure you use a nice sharp blade. The film I used did shrink, but not much. I was able to apply the film to rear glass on flatter SUV back glass. I didn't attempt any back glass on cars, but those customers were only interested in having the side windows done. Actually, I lie, I did apply the film to a Volvo station wagon back glass, but that window is mostly flat.

I've only had one customer with issues. BMW 3 series the film had issues at the top, replaced it twice. Guy crossed the bridge here locally on a daily basis to work in Detroit. He later bought a side arm and had me replace the film with ATC.

I've also applied security film to a few large city lawn tractors, back hoes. Even with the dirt and crap it's held up well, and they haven't had any more issues with flying rocks.

I agree. Most of the security I applied was on police surveillance vehicles. They park the car, which is filled with surveillance equipment, and surveil from a remote location. One fella works in Detroit, a couple of snowbirds, and for the city who were replacing broken glass on a regular basis.

I've wanted to try it, but no customers requesting it yet.  3M actually has an automotive safety film so wonder how that shrinks.

I actually got a chance to play with a sample piece of scotch shield 10% last week. Shrinking is cake just takes longer. My dying heat gun took took me almost double the time to shrink the security film than regular film. Ended up torching the rest cause I was so impatient and cheap to get a new heat gun. Unfortunately I didn't have time to install the film but I'm pretty sure it's the same as installing any other window film. Just keep in mind you have to make more passes with the squeegee since the material is thicker.

The 3M Scothshield is a headache to installed.  Any little crease will not come out.  We pulled door panel to installed the automotive security film and there are time it will still creased.  The shop area better be in tip top squeaky clean....any tiny dust can be seen a mile away with this film. We stop carrying it due to low request ( 1-3 time a year).  

Archived