Last One To Post #722

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's the wrong thread but I figured I'd ask while @Roach was around, is there a guide or an inexpensive way to determine what kind of glass I'm looking at when quoting a flat glass job? Dont wanna cost myself money if I can avoid it.

That's fine. :thumb2

Well... where you are located in the country could make a difference....

But... here in the north east, 90% of the residential glass I look at is just normal annealed double-pane glass/windows. So both panes are just normal glass. If it's a door - like a slider, it will always be tempered... that way if someone runs into it the glass bursts into a billion pieces rather then shards that could cut their head off. What a mess that would be to clean up. lol

Windows around a jacuzzie bathtub or the like will also be tempered... for the same reasons.

Any windows that are next to a door *should* be tempered as well... at least in this area, building codes require it. 

But your normal double hung window in a living room - normal glass. 

Commercial windows - generally I have found are plain glass... but sometimes they are tempered. Stores.. restaurants.. etc.. tend to be tempered for the same reasons as above. Offices - could be tempered, but not always.

The way to tell if any window is tempered is to look in the corners - one of them will have a stamp stating the glass specs.. Pretty much all tempered glass will state it's tempered or heat-strengthened. If it does not say that, then it probably isn't tempered.

When in doubt, treat it as normal glass... if there is a stamp & it says it's tempered, it's tempered.

In 16~ years, I've only come across single pane glass here maybe 3 times. It's not super common, plus the clients I go after are generally new homes/offices... which nothing new here is built with single panes. 

Not sure there is any guide.... this is just what I've found by doing it, as well as reading the forum here and the other groups online. 

It seems in this area it's easier then others... Down where you are - I can't really say what you'll come across. 

This might be more info then you asked... but it might be somewhat helpful. You could also call your film company and ask them. They may know... or not. lol

Archived