I may have to jump ship... few questions..

20 minutes ago, Tinteks said:

awesome on your new hookup! some people listen and some don't or get confused. sometimes its better to keep things simple and to the point.

im sure you've heard the, let me talk it over to my husband and crickets.. or a no show, no call,no loyalty. its a different world.

I prefer the guys with blank checks and want a good job and that's what they get. not the I have a bunch of buddies looking to get tint and on and on..

after awhile you get used to it.

That is where new money gets lost in the transaction. You prefer the men with blank checks? You must be the sales force in your business? You have to let them call (or you contact them) prior to their appointment (which I have the guy's do a day ahead of time) and make sure they are aware. Having too many buddies wanting tint?, they pay too. You have a business to run. If you get use to that, you will never be a success. In my business, IWork on results, results are the the fruit of failure because we have all been there. If your business was shutting down today, would those friends of friends be there to help? You have your answer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Tinteks said:

I will have to give the ultra a shot.

I also remember ricochet..i remember a tint company that did all the vws at a dealer and they all failed.. business moved and renamed.

the stuff that turned brown and black with cracking. usually early 2000 cars. its funny when a customer comes in and wants me to replace. I giggle.. ill pass. haha

looking over 8 people has to be a job in itself.

I started out in a few high volume shops. drama class.

I am happy with doing my own thing. consistency and not having to replace a botched install.to some its just a job. but when you have overhead with everything in the jackpot who has time for games.

Just remembered.

I have a customer going to Europe to the bmw factory to get his car. drive around Europe and shipping it over the pond.

I ordered trakwrap for him. I should of had him order it from xpel.

why? because there is no cost for the product. its the same as listed online.

was told its just ultimate with air release holes.

I understand the money is in the install but, I probably wont be asked for it every once and a blue moon.

temporary film.

You would be surprised as too what they ask for once the word is in the street. The guys at the shop are 2 film and vinyl, 1 service writer, 1 counter, I ASE mechanic and 3 oil change. My shop is like family eve though we are all different nationalities but we all know our responsibility to getting the job done. And actually my labor rate is my bay rate. 6 bays, 99 an hour, everyone is happy. Tint bays (which are 2) are a little better

Yes myself or my wife talks to every customer during the full process.

who doesn't like the blank check customers? not to be confused with over charging. the ones who know what they are getting and expect a good job.

yes buddies, not as in I could careless, as in those calls never come through, and if they do chances are its not in there budget. that's all. not in a bad way.

I think friends get treated differently then friends of customers just depends who like anything. its usually stated when they are wanting to know costs. not after usually.

I don't have a problem working on any car.. the money has to be right first though. if not no biggie. not going to bend backwards to be the nice guy as I give away my time and skill.

10 minutes ago, drtint4211 said:

You would be surprised as too what they ask for once the word is in the street. The guys at the shop are 2 film and vinyl, 1 service writer, 1 counter, I ASE mechanic and 3 oil change. My shop is like family eve though we are all different nationalities but we all know our responsibility to getting the job done. And actually my labor rate is my bay rate. 6 bays, 99 an hour, everyone is happy. Tint bays (which are 2) are a little better

nice operation.. I have a mechanical background aswell. I have built many cars and always have some kind of a project to work on when I find time.

I enjoy it when im not slinging film.

not all business models are the same...Ive been running my business for 15 yrs and was the only shop in a town I grew up in. been here for 37 yrs.

I don't have any thoughts of hiring anyone.. I don't want to complicate and worry about keeping them busy enough to cover everything that goes with it.

im fine doing a few cars a day..

5 minutes ago, Tinteks said:

Yes myself or my wife talks to every customer during the full process.

who doesn't like the blank check customers? not to be confused with over charging. the ones who know what they are getting and expect a good job.

yes buddies, not as in I could careless, as in those calls never come through, and if they do chances are its not in there budget. that's all. not in a bad way.

I think friends get treated differently then friends of customers just depends who like anything. its usually stated when they are wanting to know costs. not after usually.

I don't have a problem working on any car.. the money has to be right first though. if not no biggie. not going to bend backwards to be the nice guy as I give away my time and skill.

I understand. I have a 60 x 100 pole barn to play in at home, I have no problem giving the family or friend discount, but, power and time is not free. We can work together and tackle the tint or motor job, but if you are going to watch and ask questions, you are paying for it. I have a sign in my business....(if you ask if the film goes inside (after seeing the shrink on the outside) it is 40 dollars more, if you want to watch, it will take longer and be 400.00 more....have t had anyone watch in years...lol

LOL... I hear ya.

I have mine setup so customers don't come to the shop area. unless its to show them something. insurance purposes. hate having a customer over my shoulder..most drop off, only waiter I get are for 2 fronts or if they are stuck and have to wait..

your right power and time are not free.. last I checked nothing was free. lol

5 minutes ago, Tinteks said:

nice operation.. I have a mechanical background aswell. I have built many cars and always have some kind of a project to work on when I find time.

I enjoy it when im not slinging film.

not all business models are the same...Ive been running my business for 15 yrs and was the only shop in a town I grew up in. been here for 37 yrs.

I don't have any thoughts of hiring anyone.. I don't want to complicate and worry about keeping them busy enough to cover everything that goes with it.

im fine doing a few cars a day..

That's right Brother. Just set yourself apart even if it is more expensive. I always tell my guys when they ask if this this is good enough?, my answer is, would you pay for it? And that is usually the end of the conversation. I love my people and they are family to me, even though they forget shit when busy (like putting oil caps back on and crusty says I have oil all over under my hood). I found in life, I don't sweat the petty stuff, I pet the sweaty stuff

for real...we all get those wacky customers and forget to do something.. it happens.

but yes your right.. I don't want to be the guy that slaps it on without a care in the world. I treat it as if it were my own car.

I have learned to brush things off that are totally not worth worrying about. 

Shoulders are starting to show signs of popping and slight pain. it catches up and ive noticed it. colder months are worse.

Ive upgraded a few tools to help with keeping the pressure off my shoulder when I press.

I see you are in Colorado. When I was up north in Michigan, I incorporated remote starts to offset my winter months. They are not hard, I can send you info to get hooked up with DEI (Directed Electronics Inc) that you can work off your computers or your phone. Why the issues with your shoulders? What do you think is going on pertaining to you livelihood?

Yeah ive thought of remote starts.. just unsure who would be the best as far as easy compatibility.

also thought about coatings but I don't want to do paint correction and fill the shop with dust particles.

I would look into DEI.. I used some Dei door poppers on shaved doors way back in the day.. they would freeze in the cold  and I would be locked out lol.

the shoulders are from all the pressing on the shoulder to squeegee the water out. repetition...its hard on the shoulders reaching and pressure.

awkward body movements are a killer. I also have back issues from a few car accidents when I was younger.  ive heard of a few that have been in the business for 30 or more yrs have had cup replacements. Billy Aiton has a few videos on it as well.. recently. I picked up a handjob squeegee and it has helped with shoulder and wrist pressure.. had to give up the yellow turbo.

Archived