I may have to jump ship... few questions..

Ok guys,

So Ive been a xpel dealer for 10 yrs. I was the only dealer in my area.

a month or so I looked at the dealer Locator on xpels site to update info. I was the only one listed.

now I see the other shop that is listed now. He advertises as a 3m dealer. He has been in the shop for a yr or so.

I have fixed numerous installs from unhappy customers.. The owner has also came to me to have me do a bumper on a Mercedes..Black and the bumper was an easy 5-600 to do it. I was in the middle of a bumper wrap when he stopped in. I told him I wasn't able to do it and gave him a price for just the bumper.. He looked at me like I was crazy.. Pretty sure he does hand cutting, which one of the customers dropped vehicle off to them by accident because I moved shops 4 yrs ago and his shop is a block away from my old shop and the building looks really similar. Brand new denali,cuts every edge on the whole front end. was removed and had to have a Cadillac dealer re clear and polish out. Couldn't believe it.

He is a Volume shop. quality is non existent.

I only Looked at the dealer locator because there is another new shop that has been open for a few months a block away from the other 2 shops.

I drove by to go to kinkos and saw an xpel banner out front. hmmmm

Does xpel have any territory restrictions? I always thought so.

I have been Loyal to xpel and things have been ok up until now.

I was the only dealer in my area and now this is pretty ridiculous.

My xpel rep recently quit to work for another film company. I have know him for 20 yrs.

I always read all the xpels territory info on this forum. I guess it was only a matter of time until it happened to me.

If there is any info I am not aware of, please speak up.

I guess its time to look into other ppf options. I do like the dap but not sure I want to be the guy that sells something a customer can get down the street.

I guess if any of you PPF Sales guys see this,

please message me as to what you offer and we can go from there.

Thanks Tintdude peeps!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xpel don't have territory....They will sell to anyone... usually Xpel dealer sell their ppf high.  There is alway that few guys in the area that operate out of their house or mobile guys that have no or very little overhead that will lower the Xpel brand.  There nothing you can do about it. 

If I was in your shoe...i would have meeting with the guy to keep the standard high..

we can't do that in Houston due to too many installer carrying Xpel and SunTek lower their brand. I have seen guys do a partial for $400 to $600 using Xpel. ?????. 

I can do 20 full front a week with Xpel if we can all be on the same page with other  dealer. The demand is there for their film so we convert our customer to 3M Pro Series. We actually don't have to convert them because when we say 3M...customer are jumping on it. So we stick with 3M Pro series because all dealer keep the standard high.. 

At the end of the day...I want to drive a nice car and live in a nice house and have a nice vacation and a nice family to do it all with. 

1 hour ago, Tinteks said:

Ok guys,

So Ive been a xpel dealer for 10 yrs. I was the only dealer in my area.

a month or so I looked at the dealer Locator on xpels site to update info. I was the only one listed.

now I see the other shop that is listed now. He advertises as a 3m dealer. He has been in the shop for a yr or so.

I have fixed numerous installs from unhappy customers.. The owner has also came to me to have me do a bumper on a Mercedes..Black and the bumper was an easy 5-600 to do it. I was in the middle of a bumper wrap when he stopped in. I told him I wasn't able to do it and gave him a price for just the bumper.. He looked at me like I was crazy.. Pretty sure he does hand cutting, which one of the customers dropped vehicle off to them by accident because I moved shops 4 yrs ago and his shop is a block away from my old shop and the building looks really similar. Brand new denali,cuts every edge on the whole front end. was removed and had to have a Cadillac dealer re clear and polish out. Couldn't believe it.

He is a Volume shop. quality is non existent.

I only Looked at the dealer locator because there is another new shop that has been open for a few months a block away from the other 2 shops.

I drove by to go to kinkos and saw an xpel banner out front. hmmmm

Does xpel have any territory restrictions? I always thought so.

I have been Loyal to xpel and things have been ok up until now.

I was the only dealer in my area and now this is pretty ridiculous.

My xpel rep recently quit to work for another film company. I have know him for 20 yrs.

I always read all the xpels territory info on this forum. I guess it was only a matter of time until it happened to me.

If there is any info I am not aware of, please speak up.

I guess its time to look into other ppf options. I do like the dap but not sure I want to be the guy that sells something a customer can get down the street.

I guess if any of you PPF Sales guys see this,

please message me as to what you offer and we can go from there.

Thanks Tintdude peeps!

I believe 3m got their panties in a bunch with xpel. I don't care for either's material. I do not promote, but have to say, the new suntek ultra is very nice and installer friendly. And has a ten year

Forces people that don't know any different. Thank a good sales guy for that. We have good sales guy's but they don't know know to sell film or PPF. Physical demonstration and customer education is the key. I am not going to go into detail about the materials due to the fact as to how other businesses sell or interpret their products. I have a number of distributors products on display for a reason, and xpel and 3m never get to the front of the line. 

I am not going to knock suppliers for what they do (because the lame manufacturing and HR are in their way, and they have to do what is put in front of them). My problem is how do you sell or promote something if you don't believe in that product? You go home, you don't sleep, wanting to find a way to sell this product to those that have an undecided or not sure feeling.....find something else to sell. If you sell something and are wondering this scenario in your head, then your skills are needed elsewhere. I will only sell something I believe in. I come from a family of car dealership's and they were all full of ?

Thanks for the replies guys..

I figured as much.

Nothing different then all the other film companies.I don't want a product that is being sold a block away.since I know one is a volume lick it and stick it shop. with ridiculous prices to match it.

I like the dap cuts. been using it for awhile.

but did a 2017 Titan and ordered the bumper kit from xpel.

the kit  was 3 inches short on each side on the upper bumper piece. got on the phone and called xpel to see what was up.

they asked the installer about it. I have installed several hundreds on the dap kits.

but today, it was obvious there was no way to stretch it that far.

I had to explain to the xpel guy on the phone that this isn't new to me. I do lots of these.

I know what is possible and what clearly is not.

I had to do the grill by hand because they don't offer a kit. all painted grill.

I said forget it. ill do it by hand.

get to the bottom piece.. same damn thing cut was way off.

after wasting 2 hrs explain to the guy on the phone..

sending it back.

just did it all by hand.

I use kits to save time.. not put me in the hole.

I deal mainly with newer cars. never had an issue until today. after seeing the other shops using xpel..yah

I have many return happy clients..never have any issues,very rarely comebacks..Usually for something stupid.I take the time needed to do the job right the first time. I take pride in my work and what I put out.

which costs more obviously..but have to funnel through the bs calls with people wanting as cheap as possible.. and they expect perfect..not going to happen. we all know the lingo in this business. gets reeeal ollld fast.

any thoughts on premium shield? havnt seen much talk about it since sema.

how about nano fusion?  stek?

Used to use suntek window film when they first started.. wasn't too fond. Im sure its different now but am happy with what I use.

ive used the ppf.  thinner then xp but not as sticky. havnt tried the ultra.. I will see about a sample.

The ultra from SunTek is the shit.I love that film..But I'm a 3M Dealer and only use it if customer pay for it. Suntek Ultra is a solid film....The best on the market so far.   Dealer wise....most Suntek Houston dealer sell the ppf for nothing so we can't compete.  How can a brick and motar business like us compete against a mobile or garage business operator and owner? ?.....we do really good with our brick and motar customer....but here and there we have that guy that call craigslist and get a stupid price for ppf and tint...I tell him that we can't beat it and he still want us to come closed because he is fishy about the craigslist guy...he feel we r ripping him off.:: BUT WE CANT MATCH THAT PRICE SIR...sometimes no matter what we say...they still walk...and i say WE LOST ONE AND HOW DO I KEEP THAT ONE

Archived