Bubbles due to 'divots'?

24 minutes ago, doc81 said:

I fully allow that the magnifying of problems that might occur with PPF, and while the car is very clean, it's not perfect. However, some of these issues in these photos really seem to be install-related; there's no reason for the stretch mark photo on this page, the lip-overhang on the previous page, nor some of the bubbling in areas around the bumper that seem to have occurred because the car wasn't prepped properly. I had my '06 BMW done in 2015 by a different company (also an older vehicle), and it didn't come back looking like this red car.

No, the installation is not good.  My statement was just to explain we are not saying the car is in poor condition or anything...just that ideal PPF conditions are when the car is brand new.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DynamicAppearance said:

No, the installation is not good.  My statement was just to explain we are not saying the car is in poor condition or anything...just that ideal PPF conditions are when the car is brand new.

Gotcha, and thanks for the explanation. I worked as a detailed when I was in my early twenties, before PPF was really a thing (our shop certainly didn't do it), so my knowledge of paint protection basically starts and ends at polishing/waxing (and it's no doubt a little out of date). I appreciate all the expert opinions here.

I'm going to ask them to re-do it. Not sure they'll agree, but I'm going to try - I've spoken to a few other shops as well that seem to think it was either rushed or not prepped properly.

I am just gong to reiterate what @minty and the others have already said. The install is sub par at best. But the nicks/chips are what they are. Thats a slightly lifted area around the chip pushing up the film slightly. holding a bit of air under it. 6 years on the road is a long time before PPF. I had a Mercedes GLC that we did a few weeks ago that was 1 week old that had many nicks in the paint. Picked it up from the dealer, and lucky I pointed them out to the service writer, because the next day I get a call from the lady saying we chipped her paint up during the install. My point is, everyone looks at their car from a standing position before the install and think it looks great. Then after the get it done they inspect it with their nose on the paint and think "that wasn't their before".At the end of the day the install is poor. I would want it redone/refund also. But I wouldn't say anything about the air over the nicks because that will make the installer feel you are just being unreasonable because nothing can be done about that. I would just stick to the issues of the install. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Jake said:

I am just gong to reiterate what @minty and the others have already said. The install is sub par at best. But the nicks/chips are what they are. Thats a slightly lifted area around the chip pushing up the film slightly. holding a bit of air under it. 6 years on the road is a long time before PPF. I had a Mercedes GLC that we did a few weeks ago that was 1 week old that had many nicks in the paint. Picked it up from the dealer, and lucky I pointed them out to the service writer, because the next day I get a call from the lady saying we chipped her paint up during the install. My point is, everyone looks at their car from a standing position before the install and think it looks great. Then after the get it done they inspect it with their nose on the paint and think "that wasn't their before".At the end of the day the install is poor. I would want it redone/refund also. But I wouldn't say anything about the air over the nicks because that will make the installer feel you are just being unreasonable because nothing can be done about that. I would just stick to the issues of the install. Good luck.

Heya,

Took it back this morning and the guy wasn't a total dick at all; I did mention the small bubbles, but only because the large issues are so glaring - I'll throw another photo on here of another section they messed up. Thank you for chiming in here, by the way - I appreciate all the expert advice from you guys.

I do of course 'get it' that the paint is old, and no matter how good it looked, that PPF can magnify issues, but with how bad some of the install was done, I wasn't feeling charitable enough to acknowledge that to the installer, and was polite but firm about how I expected it to look better than it did. Some of the small issues as far as I'm concerned are probably due to the botched install, even if the paint isn't brand new.

Installer says he can fix the 'stretched' fender piece, re-cut the center and put a new one on and will 'do what he can' for the small bubbles. Providing he does a decent job, I'll still leave him a fair review.

Check this, though... maybe I'm anal, but can't believe he let it leave the shop with this (which is right on the center of the car's nose):

nM9UdE8.jpg

On 6/25/2017 at 9:11 PM, doc81 said:

I had my '06 BMW done in 2015 by a different company (also an older vehicle), and it didn't come back looking like this red car.

So why didn't you go back to the same shop that did your previous vehicle if you were happy with the job and it didn't come back looking bad?

That install is terrible. We install film on plenty of older cars. We will usually touch the car up first for an extra $100. Even if we don't touch up it doesn't look anywhere near that. Get you money back and realize that the next installer will charge you extra to remove the film you have on. I dont like when retail customers come on this site and ask about their install because this is a site for installers.  But that job sucks and you should get a refund and move on.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:07 AM, doc81 said:

Heya,

Took it back this morning and the guy wasn't a total dick at all; I did mention the small bubbles, but only because the large issues are so glaring - I'll throw another photo on here of another section they messed up. Thank you for chiming in here, by the way - I appreciate all the expert advice from you guys.

I do of course 'get it' that the paint is old, and no matter how good it looked, that PPF can magnify issues, but with how bad some of the install was done, I wasn't feeling charitable enough to acknowledge that to the installer, and was polite but firm about how I expected it to look better than it did. Some of the small issues as far as I'm concerned are probably due to the botched install, even if the paint isn't brand new.

Installer says he can fix the 'stretched' fender piece, re-cut the center and put a new one on and will 'do what he can' for the small bubbles. Providing he does a decent job, I'll still leave him a fair review.

Check this, though... maybe I'm anal, but can't believe he let it leave the shop with this (which is right on the center of the car's nose):

Hello Doc,

Where in Alberta are you located? I was told Alberta sells more paint protection film then all of north America combined, only since all our roads have so much gravel and stones. Because of this everyone thinks its easy, lots of work within this trade and tries to open a paint protection shop at every corner. 75% shops around here will provide work that looks like this.  I would say the cost u got it for is pretty cheap. Something like this we charge over $1200 not including taxes yet

18 hours ago, blackoutauto said:

Hello Doc,

Where in Alberta are you located? I was told Alberta sells more paint protection film then all of north America combined, only since all our roads have so much gravel and stones. Because of this everyone thinks its easy, lots of work within this trade and tries to open a paint protection shop at every corner. 75% shops around here will provide work that looks like this.  I would say the cost u got it for is pretty cheap. Something like this we charge over $1200 not including taxes yet

Alberta sells more ppf than all of north america? :smh no chance

Archived