Quoting Film Specs

Same here, can't express how much I have learned here.  This subject is a great example because when I sell the jobs, I do not push numbers at the customers...so comparing apples to apples with these numbers is not a real concern for me as far as my job.  I have never once had someone ask about our numbers compared to another shops.  Key with us is we have a great way we sell down across the team, we show knowledge and confidence to the customer, and we show that we really believe in the product.  Hell, in the last two weeks we have installed Crystalline on a 1991 Acura Legend and a 2002 Chevy Blazer.  Now with that being said I love to read on here about the numbers, new ways to test them, and compare them between films so I can have a better understanding of the industry.  I appreciate the members on here that do care about those subjects like Naples, S2S, Stan, Bham, TD, etc otherwise I would know much less than I do now.  I also agree it needs some regulation as far as measurements goes...some type of oversight by an agency.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Aesop_Rock said:

Right, So when you say CR that has a 97% IR rejection really only measures in a 84% it seems more than a bit misleading considering the fact that you did your own analysis on it. I could say the same about Wincos if I got differing data through my own unregulated experiments using my own unregulated equipment. But that doesn't mean it is correct.

No offense but I'll take 3M's numbers over yours. Just like you would take Wincos numbers over mine if I had any.

The reality is 3M's number of 97% is misleading in that they advertise in the mice-type @950nm. NIR range is from 780-2500nm so, propping their film up on a single wavelength out of hundreds is a tad bit misleading. Not to mention, if you look at the chart 'Naples' posted you will note that 950 nm bottoms out in one of four dips in the NIR ... those dips (and peaks) represent the intensity of the radiation in a given wavelength. 950nm isn't very intense so, they really are not saying too much at all. 

Naples is spot on using the SS2450. It is a meter that has the capability to be accurate within -/+2% compared with the 100K$ spectrophotometers the mannies (and the DOE, NFRC) use to come up with film performance values.

Hope this was helpful ... back to the pool now.

Archived