Quoting Film Specs

2 hours ago, Naples Tint Company said:

TSER is important. IRR is only part of the picture. I installed a film that blocks more IR than crystalline on half of my windshield. I measured the dash temperature every 10 minutes. Although almost the entire IR was blocked, the tinted side still hit 142 degrees after an hour. The clear side hit 160 degrees. Most of this heat gain was caused by visible light. However, the story for the customer is to expect the heat gain to be reduced by 15 degrees with a relatively clear film.

97% IR sounds nice, but have you ever tried to test and prove that number? Its actually 84%, which is high but proof that the auto window film industry needs regulation and/or common test methods.

so which film blocked more than 97% IR? and at what shade? 70%?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, DynamicAppearance said:

Madico is not popular with shops in GA even though they have a distribution location in Metro Atlanta.  Always thought that was weird.

Its not marketed very hard. They don't really hype the product up at all. I went to the St Pete manufacturing facility. They do a great job and test the film rather extensively there. I wish I was local to it, just walk in and pick up film like a hardware store. There are a few product lines they have that are incredible in clarity and quality. Their sunscape line is extremely competitive... but again, not known in my market.

21 hours ago, Aesop_Rock said:

so which film blocked more than 97% IR? and at what shade? 70%?

3M CR blocks 99% IR at 980 nm. That's it. The average across the IR spectrum is about 84% (on my measurement). Still great numbers, but not 97% across the band.

I used a film that is an average of 90% across the IR band. Wincos 70. Doesn't mean that 90% of the heat is blocked either. Just the IR and that film absorbs it, so that's only so good in the real world.

Again, the auto film specs are not regulated. That's why you think your film blocks 97% IR, because the literature tells you so. I encourage you to question the marketing and try and test the film. Find a way to make the numbers add up. Almost the whole industry is off. Its not fair to the dealers or the customers. (all brands included here) 

Its our job to be clear about what the film can really do.

3 hours ago, Naples Tint Company said:

Its not marketed very hard. They don't really hype the product up at all. I went to the St Pete manufacturing facility. They do a great job and test the film rather extensively there. I wish I was local to it, just walk in and pick up film like a hardware store. There are a few product lines they have that are incredible in clarity and quality. Their sunscape line is extremely competitive... but again, not known in my market.

One of our friends that moved here from Texas wanted his side windows retinted...his old shop installed Wincos on it.  Was able to get there and pick up a 25' roll in 25 minutes...not a bad drive to it.

18 hours ago, Aesop_Rock said:

@Naples Tint CompanySo what you are saying is because you tested it in the real world and got those numbers that's what you are going with? i'm just wondering not trying to fight you on this.

Its more about the auto tint performance measurements being unregulated. Just playing devils advocate. Sometimes we can get caught up in the hype and I like to question the marketing sometimes. I would love to have the resources to do an apples to apples comparison and give more accurate results. However, with the resources on hand we can all agree that its worth looking into.

7 minutes ago, Naples Tint Company said:

Its more about the auto tint performance measurements being unregulated. Just playing devils advocate. Sometimes we can get caught up in the hype and I like to question the marketing sometimes. I would love to have the resources to do an apples to apples comparison and give more accurate results. However, with the resources on hand we can all agree that its worth looking into.

Right, So when you say CR that has a 97% IR rejection really only measures in a 84% it seems more than a bit misleading considering the fact that you did your own analysis on it. I could say the same about Wincos if I got differing data through my own unregulated experiments using my own unregulated equipment. But that doesn't mean it is correct.

No offense but I'll take 3M's numbers over yours. Just like you would take Wincos numbers over mine if I had any.

4 minutes ago, Aesop_Rock said:

Right, So when you say CR that has a 97% IR rejection really only measures in a 84% it seems more than a bit misleading considering the fact that you did your own analysis on it. I could say the same about Wincos if I got differing data through my own unregulated experiments using my own unregulated equipment. But that doesn't mean it is correct.

No offense but I'll take 3M's numbers over yours. Just like you would take Wincos numbers over mine if I had any.

Pleasure debating. Both great films. Great values.

15 minutes ago, Aesop_Rock said:

3M CR only blocks 97% of IR from 900nm-1000nm.  Downside with that is the spectrum is actually 780nm-2500nm.  So it is very misleading when in reality it is more like 84% across the board.  So as @Naples Tint Company was saying, comparing 3M CR IR numbers to say Huper Ceramic IR numbers is not apples to apples since they are measuring two different sections of the spectrum.  3M is taking a very small window that it performs exceptionally at and promoting that number.  They put a notation at the bottom of all spec sheets for legal purposes.

7 minutes ago, DynamicAppearance said:

3M CR only blocks 97% of IR from 900nm-1000nm.  Downside with that is the spectrum is actually 780nm-2500nm.  So it is very misleading when in reality it is more like 84% across the board.  So as @Naples Tint Company was saying, comparing 3M CR IR numbers to say Huper Ceramic IR numbers is not apples to apples since they are measuring two different sections of the spectrum.  3M is taking a very small window that it performs exceptionally at and promoting that number.  They put a notation at the bottom of all spec sheets for legal purposes.

thank you for the debate and education. this is exactly why i come here. love to learn new things

Archived