96 ferrari 355

Guest sdtintin

Guest sdtintin

help

im doing 1 of these monday but im a bit concerned about the rear screen as it slopes back and it looks like a real pain to do ,has any1 done 1 and are they as hard as they look

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The return flanks are the hard part to get right......the bits of glass that go down beside the engine.

Use some film and make it sacrificial to get the exact pattern right first.

Where the glass bends (around the head area), it will require some heat shrinking there.

devil

Guest sdtintin

quick update ,tinted the car today tried to cut the film with the screen in place and couldnt get no where near no room to move etc si I decided to remove the screen to tint it ,after 1 hour of removing 7mm nuts and numerous interior panels the window finaly came out ,tinted it perfect let it to cure for a hour or so then whent to replace it CRACK ,doh not good 2 big cracks top to botom , spoke to the customer (who was there at the time ) n he was cool about it ,refitted all the trim panels etc and he was happy with the job ,just gotta get on to my insurance tomorrow to see if they will pay for the replacement ,hopefully they will if not im in for a big repair bill ,I had a chat with the customer and his cool to have a 2nd hand screen if wh can find 1 ,ive found a salvage yard with 30 ferraris being stripped so hopefully they will have 1 ,mental note to myself dont remove rear screens from a ferrari :):)

Guest sdtintin

had a bad day was a understatement ,I started the car at 10am and I finaly finished n waved by to the dude at 7 pm I spent all day very carefully removing panels trim etc and made the most perfect job I could and then still ended up breaking the glass oh well ,he even paid me :) and gave me ?50 extra ,imust admit he was 1 of the best customers ive had he was cool with it all and well impressed with the way the car looked

quick update ,tinted the car today tried to cut the film with the screen in place and couldnt get no where near no room to move etc si I decided to remove the screen to tint it ,after 1 hour of removing 7mm nuts and numerous interior panels the window finaly came out ,tinted it perfect let it to cure for a hour or so then whent to replace it CRACK ,doh not good 2 big cracks top to botom , spoke to the customer (who was there at the time ) n he was cool about it ,refitted all the trim panels etc and he was happy with the job ,just gotta get on to my insurance tomorrow to see if they will pay for the replacement ,hopefully they will if not im in for a big repair bill ,I had a chat with the customer and his cool to have a 2nd hand screen if wh can find 1 ,ive found a salvage yard with 30 ferraris being stripped so hopefully they will have 1 ,mental note to myself dont remove rear screens from a ferrari  :thumb  :thumb

DID it brake while you was taking it Out. or Because you tinted it. I have Heard that some Of the glass Breaks right away when you Tint em. mostly on exotic cars. ANy way, Good to hear that Coustomer was very understanding. :thumb

Sd,

Your not alone. I did one as a result of a accident out of the car and it was $5000 for a new one. :hmmm

They are laminated which can be a problem with any twisting or heating. Wish I knew you were going to that extreme because I would definately advised not to go that route. That's why I said make a sacrificial pattern out of actual film first.

My original install prior to the new one going in was no worries and looked terrific.

Devil

Sd,

Your not alone. I did one as a result of a accident out of the car and it was $5000 for a new one. :hmmm

They are laminated which can be a problem with any twisting or heating. Wish I knew you were going to that extreme because I would definately advised not to go that route. That's why I said make a sacrificial pattern out of actual film first.

My original install prior to the new one going in was no worries and looked terrific.

Devil

$5000 for another one.....holy :nope:nope

Archived