Keeping clean

Everyone gets a spec or two of dirt/debris in any install, that's a given.  Nothing is perfect...

What or how are you guys setting up your plotter?  Are you using a media catch?  Or sweeping the floor prior to plotting and letting it fall on the floor?  Using a table to let it run back and forth on?

We have been doing the floor option for a while now for most of the installs.  We would get a couple dirt specs here and there even after wiping both sides of the film before removing from the liner.  But, now that we are bulking everything except bumpers, the installs are cleaner.  So the floor option is out the window.

I've heard the media catch sometimes will bunch up the film and cause it to twist and get ruined during plotting, wasting film.

I've wanted to setup a table to have the film track back and forth on, but not sure it would work without being slanted at a decent angle and with a glass top.  I know the film will get caught on my cutting mat, so the current table won't work.

Any input is appreciated, pic work too!

We use a table in the front to run the film onto. Much easier to handle the film and start the weeding process. Especially when we are cutting larger width material like 36" and 60". We also have markers on the table to indicate footage so that if we need to reel off a certain amount for bulk, its quicker. Also, we used a dark laminate onto of the table so that it's easier to see the patterns cut.

Edited by PPFdistributing

I use a white table with 3/4" thick sheet of glass on top. Film just slides on it and always kept clean. Sometimes precuts are good but i offer my clients an option and charge extra for hand cut and tuck all edges where i can so it comes out near flawless and i am very good with the knife.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:52 AM, envious eric said:

I've heard the media catch sometimes will bunch up the film and cause it to twist and get ruined during plotting, wasting film.

The film only twists if your catch basket isn't aligned parallel with your plotter.  No matter what your setup, you'll want to stand by.  While you can walk away during cutting 9 times out of 10, that last time is too expensive.

Tables work well, but they chew up a lot of real estate.  Either way can be successful.